Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Search engines donot search urls with &id
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MattS99
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - March 29 2006 :  23:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my readings, Google and other search engines spiders donot follow links with &id= in a querystring causing those pages to not be indexed. This appears to me to be a very serious shortcoming in vpasp, since all category and product links all contain &id querystring. What can I or you do to remove the &id from the urls?

Thank you.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 30 2006 :  01:12:12  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think they will index it, although it seems a bit hit+miss for some search engines.
for google, you can force them to trawl your shopexd pages by using a google sitemap.xml file which lists all your product urls; you could try giving our google-sitemap-creator addon a go:

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=118

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 30 2006 :  02:39:48  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

VPASP has an advanced search engine opimisation utility that allows you to create a static version of your entire product and category list to ensure that your site can be spidered.

Combine this with BYZ's Google site map tool and your site should rank highly.

You do need to help the SE's bots spider your sites and it is up to you to ensure that your content is of the highest relevance though to get the best results.

There are a number of great sites you can visit to provide tips and advice.

Have a look at:

www.webmasterworld.com

This site is almost completely dedicated to search engine optimisation.

Thank you

Cam
VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

MattS99
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - March 30 2006 :  10:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Simon a google sitemap is a workable solution for google.

I just created the static pages for my site. I'll have to investigate how this will all works. I hope spiders and bots will do a better indexing job on dynamic pages in the future. I would think high percentage of shopping site's pages are dynamic. Has VPASP thought making static pages as a rule instead of an exception?

Thanks Cam.

Matt
Go to Top of Page

ironhawker
VP-CART Super User

USA
260 Posts

Posted - March 30 2006 :  23:58:08  Show Profile  Visit ironhawker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alohaaaa.
I'm going to try this:
Make the static pages and store them in a special folder like shopping/static with names the search engines will not ignore.
Then make an index.htm of the folder.
Then put a link to this page <a href="shopping/static/index.html"> somewhere on your home page.
Put this in the <head> of your index.htm or-html file:
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow">
it will only be 3 levels down so should be spidered and still in the /shopping folder so should link to the cart if they use these pages as a portal.
Am I right?

I'm also certain that the static pages can be enhanced with metas- titles and other text to get higher ratings.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Randy "RC" Corn
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

MattS99
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - March 31 2006 :  15:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ironhawker, That sounds like a good plan for the static pages.
Thanks for the meta robot tag tip. I think its a good idea to include the sitemap.xml for goggle as well. The only concern I have is putting the link to the static pages on the main page. I don't really want shoppers to click to the static pages. Maybe the link can be in very small text in a not so easy noticed spot.

Matt

Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - April 01 2006 :  12:22:27  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have no troble getting my pages with ?= id's

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-36,GGLD:en&q=site%3Aapswater%2Ecom+data

and here
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2004-36%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=site%3Aapswater.com+shopdisplaycategories

Now, it does not grab them all (I have 1700 or so products listed)
but I dont think it is the id issue thats stopping the rest.

Is there really a need to create static pages?

Edited by - apswater on April 01 2006 12:27:56
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - April 04 2006 :  16:48:24  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hmm.. you all got quiet pretty fast....

So I ask again, do we need to make static pages? I bought the Google map thingy but it won't work for me. I then started researching a bit more and found my pages were being indexed through the asp code. So which is it? Need to do it or not? Is my case just a fluke?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 06 2006 :  00:21:41  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mitch,

I will jump in if no one else has any solutions.

The long and the short of it is search engine optimisation is an art form in its own right with its own mysteries hence the proliferation of SEO companies willing to provide assistance.

The best advice I can give is to have a look through www.webmasterworld.com and see if there is anything there that will be of assistance.

It would be great if you could post what you find out as I am positive there are a lot of very interested folk out there.

Thanks,
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

ironhawker
VP-CART Super User

USA
260 Posts

Posted - April 06 2006 :  00:48:41  Show Profile  Visit ironhawker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Art Form Indeed
I have optimized 15 sites over the last 8 years and there is a difference between the Inktomi engine, MSN, Look Smart, Google, Alta Vista, Yahoo, Ask, the DMOZ and others... but these are the big ones.
(they have different levels of geekdom at each - DMOZ frowns on sensationalizm http://www.dmoz.org)
Use of a "site Map" seems to placate most of them. There are a few tricks to optimizining certain individual pages for certain engines, but nobody ever wants to pay to have it done. Most score highest for the "portal" - index / default but you can build pages inside the site that will score high if you want a minimum exposure - splash.
I already gave the robots=index follow tip.
Each site has a page on how to score well with "their" algorythm.
The real rule is "Content is King".. You can "meta" and "alt" all you want, but if there is nothing to read you won't score.
Oh, and then you can't overdo it or they will get you!!!

PS.. I am available for contract search engine customization, and getting OK with this VP-Asp thing 2

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Randy "RC" Corn
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - April 06 2006 :  11:00:43  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cam....

I have gotten that link from you before. I see a lot of talk about stuff for getting listed but when I check it out further, I think a lot of it is false.

What I have learned is that at least google, msn and yahoo index asp pages so if you got all the right links you should get listed.

You do need page titles, meta descriptions and meta keywords.
You also need to be sure the search word you are trying to rank on is included once in the title, description, keyword and content. Those are the things that google looks at to decide if they are even going to show your link when someone inquires.

I did put on a master list of categories and one for products because my in house indexers were not following all the pages. Once I did that, my in house search engine got much better and my google importance ranking went from 0 out of 10 to 4 out of 10 and my listed pages went from 1500 to 10500 on my main site.

I still think google and the others might limit the numbers of free click throughs they give you. I know something happened on Jan1 2006 becasue our free click throughs jumped 30% on that day and have held steady even as our indexed pages go up and down.

So I am not sure that the answers are, but I think wasting a lot of time making maps and other things might just be... a waste of time...

Edited by - apswater on April 06 2006 12:29:38
Go to Top of Page

rynert
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - April 09 2006 :  10:19:06  Show Profile  Visit rynert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"advanced search engine opimisation utility"

Where is this utility?
Go to Top of Page

vpaspza7
Forum Admin

Australia
41 Posts

Posted - April 10 2006 :  17:50:04  Show Profile  Visit vpaspza7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rynert,

VP-ASP has a powerful static page generator for search engine optimisation so you can replicate your category and products trees.

For more info please see:

http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shoptocdetail.asp?id=66&cat=Static+HTML+pages

The pages can be made to almost replicate the look of your product range display exactly.

Thanks,
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00