Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Adding Products to Categories v5.5 to v6
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - February 10 2006 :  07:02:01  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In v6 I am using shopcategorylist.asp to display a category tree. We have many categories & sub-categories and customers who know their stuff will be able to go straight to the required sub-category without clicking through many layers to get there, a great time saver.

However, when you click on a category hyperlink in shopcategorylist.asp, if it has sub-categories rather than products either all products in the further sub-categories are displayed or a message saying No products match your search.

This seems to be caused by the differences in adding products between v5.5 (previously used) & v6. In v5.5 you had to select the top level category in one field & any further sub-categories in another field. In v6 the sub-categories are displayed together with the top level category in a single field e.g.
Asphalt & Bitumen ---Methylene Chloride Handling & Monitoring (382)

Therefore, I get the No products match your search message for categories where I have added products in v6.

I think (if I've got this right) that this is a problem & will mislead our customers.

Furthermore, I would really like shopcategorylist.asp to function like shopdisplaycategories.asp, where if a category has sub-categories, these are displayed rather than all products.

But, at least I need to get rid of this misleading message saying there are no products when there are, but they are in sub-categories. None of my top level categories contain products.

I'd be grateful for any help with this.

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - February 21 2006 :  02:02:05  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As this appears to be a glitch caused by upgrading to v6 I was rather hoping that support might wish to comment.

Has anyone else got this problem or am I the only person who needs to use shopcategorylist.asp in this way?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 21 2006 :  02:26:05  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if that's a v6 glitch, or just a general category problem, but either way you might find our prod/cat check/fix tool useful, as it'll fill in the gaps in all your missing prodcategories records and also validate your categories:

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=74

you also might find our admin-category-tree screen useful:

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=31

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - February 24 2006 :  04:39:44  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon I'll be in touch via your site.
I've been waiting for the category tree to be listed as v6 compatible as it is a MUST with hundreds of categories.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 24 2006 :  06:14:10  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we've now updated our category tree addon (and our prod/cat check/fix tool) to be fully v6-compliant (while still also being backward compatible with 4.5/5/5.5)

we've also added a few extra bits and pieces while doing that update, so the prod/cat tool now has extra checks and the category tree has extra warnings if any categories are "not in tree" (invalid highercat etc)

i'll be contacting you (sharon) regarding the upgrades

in the near future, we'll be releasing another update to the admin category tree addon (we'll give out free upgrades to that for recent purchasers) - we're making a javascript expand/collapse version of it which currently looks really cool; I'm looking forward to getting that upgrade out there as I think people'll really like it.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

fb4u
VP-CART New User

66 Posts

Posted - March 16 2006 :  13:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Simon, I have read your postings many a time and have gone to your site many a times coz some of your products sound like just what I need. But when I do get to your site, I am always a bit ... er ... confused and never end up getting anything coz tho you have a demo link ... I still don't really get a picture/visual of what it is your products do. And though I often read your description more than once, I still would like to see a clearer demo. Like your current tree-like category list ... I can't SEE what the final result might look like. Would be great if we could. Many thanks, Helena
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 17 2006 :  13:02:03  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you're not alone; we think the same thing. Our site originally just sold 1 or 2 addons but was mostly a way of clients/potential clients finding out what we do and being able to contact us.

Since then, our list of addons has grown massively, so the structure of the site doesn't really make much sense anymore, and I admit it is hard to see what the addons do.

So, we're currently going through a redesign process, where we'll be adding loads of demo links and snapshot pictures etc.

In the meantime, there's a page where you can get an overview of all the addons so you can scroll through at a glance and see what's available:

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/softwareversions.asp

Thanks for the feedback; it's good to know that our worries on the structure/content of the site are valid and do need sorting out.

So we'll be doing a big revamp soon on the site to make it much easier to navigate around and see what the various addons do etc.

Also, we'll soon be releasing a new version of our "byz addon admin" screen that you use to view your byz-installed info on your vpasp site; we'll be turning that into a windows-update style screen where you can press a button to check for updates, get freebies etc etc.

Hopefully all that lot will be coming soon; our timetable got a bit knocked back following the release of vpaspv6, but we're starting to get back on track again now.

We're always happy to answer questions; lots of people contact us and say "we'd like to do something like this....do you have anything that'd help us?" which we're happy to answer; often we've got addons which are available off-the-shelf which solve people's problems, or we'd have relevant code in our library which we can use to help solve their problem. Either way, people are always welcome to ask us if they have that kind of question.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on March 17 2006 13:07:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000