Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Content Management of Home Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmccann
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - January 05 2006 :  06:52:27  Show Profile  Visit jmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How can I use Content Management to manage the content of my site Home page, ie default.asp? I would like the shop owner to be able to manage this using the inbuilt editor.

I can only edit the Home Page content using an HTML editor such as Dreamweaver etc.

regards,

jim mccann

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 05 2006 :  20:42:08  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can do this by the following these steps:

• Make a backup of the current default.asp file

• Open shopcontent.asp in your html editor such as Dreamweaver or FrontPage and resave as default.asp

• Change line 20 in the new default.asp to:

setSess "CurrentURL","default.asp"

• Change line 22 to:

contentid = "1"

This can be any number as long as it corresponds to a record in the content table you wish to use for the new dynamic home page

• Save your changes and upload to your server.

Hope this helps.

Thank you
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

jmccann
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - January 06 2006 :  05:01:57  Show Profile  Visit jmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Again,

What a BIG Difference this makes as all site pages can now be update by the integrted CMS. No longer a need for a seperate CMS and a Shopping Cart.

This should consolidate VPASP as the number choice for getting a shop online.

Thanks again for your quick response.

jim mccann

Go to Top of Page

halrau
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - December 23 2006 :  07:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did the instructions for implementing this change in version 6.09?
I implemented this and now I get a repeat of the page title and a breadcrumb bar at the top.
See http://www.northwestneedlework.info for an example.
Go to Top of Page

halrau
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - December 23 2006 :  07:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually all I want to do is replace the static html on the original default.asp with dynamic content so my shop owner can change the content of the top part of the home page.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - December 27 2006 :  03:42:04  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It sounds like what you're after is being able to call your content records from anywhere on a page/panel. I don't think that's available without customisation, but we've got an addon which will let you do it.

The addon ("Content Management Enhancements for VPASP") has 2 main benefits:
1) Press a button in admin's edit-content screen to create a file for a given name (eg type in "aboutus.asp" in the "other" field and press a link and it'll then create a file called "aboutus.asp" which will call that content record dynamically)
2) You can call a given content-record and display it anywhere you like (ie inside existing asp pages/panels)

The link for the addon is:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=125

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on December 27 2006 03:43:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly