Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 front page product display
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

voytek
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - January 02 2006 :  17:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

How do I control whether or not a product is shown on the frontpage?

How do I sort products on the front page?

Thank you.

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - January 02 2006 :  17:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi voytek,

The following configuration variables control the frontpage area:

xfrontpagefield - The field in the products table to be used to find the products to display, default FRONTPAGE

xfrontpagemaxcolumns - The number of columns to display on the home page

xfrontpagemaxrecords - The number of records to display on the home page

xfrontpagerandomfield - If you want to limit the random product displays, this field can be used. It is a field in the products table.

xfrontpagerandomvalue - When limiting random product displays, this is the value to be checked in the product record.

xfrontpagevalue - The value to be used when reading the products table to determine which records to display. If the name random is used then the products are obtained randomly.

Page 16 of the VP-ASP Developers guide explains this.

Hope this helps.

regards

rustytec
Go to Top of Page

voytek
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - January 02 2006 :  18:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks rustytec, but I still don't get it. I read those items, and they just don't make sense to me.

Take xfrontpagefield, for instance: "The field in the products table to be used to find the products to display," is very unclear. Does it mean if this field is filled out, that product goes on the front page? That couldn't be because a product still shows up if I leave this blank. I've put numbers and letters in "frontpage" and it doesn't seem to have any effect.

I want to be able to choose which products go on the front page. I want to sort the products on the front page. Are these tasks possible with this product?

Sorry if I'm dense. Just don't get it.
Go to Top of Page

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - January 02 2006 :  20:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi voytek,

I have mine setup like this:

xfrontpagefield = frontpage (the name of the product field that will control the display of these products).

xfrontpagemaxcolumns = 3 (default number of columns to display).

xfrontpagemaxrecords = 12 (the default number of products to show at any one time.)

xfrontpagevalue = random (tells it to use the random method, which shows all product at randomly upon each page visit or refresh).

(Or if you put in a keyword like SALE, then only products with SALE in the field defined in xfrontpagefield = frontpage, i.e. frontpage, will show. These products will not change randomly with this method, they will be static. So you would need to ensure the maxrecords and maxcolumns reflected this, to show all the tagged products this way).

The next set enhances the selected products...

xfrontpagerandomfield = frontpage ( again, the name of the field that will control the random display of these products).

xfrontpagerandomvalue = SALE ( this is the WORD I put into the field 'frontpage' in products, to say these are the products, I want to display (and only these ones), and it randomly refreshes with a different set of products at each page refresh / visit etc).

The sort order follows xsortproducts.

So in summary:

Using the xfrontpagerandomXXXXX fields, makes it use all products or selected products and show them in a random manner, whilst the non-random config fields, will show all randomly or fixed number statically.

I hope this helps and I haven't confused you more, it did actually take a bit to get my hear around it.

cheers

rustytec
Go to Top of Page

voytek
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - January 02 2006 :  21:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that definately cleared it up. It's working now. I'm glad I asked; I would have never figured that out on my own. thanks for your time and effort, rustytec.
Go to Top of Page

Dick Greener
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - April 04 2007 :  07:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Dick Greener's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

I'm still struggling with this.

I have four defined products on the online shop front page at www.summerhouserecords.co.uk. They are selected using the field pother1, which contains value 1. I want to display them in a particular order, but can't seem to find a way to do this. I've trie different values in pother1.

Any suggestions ? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 08 2007 :  04:50:43  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
to change the ordering, edit shoprandomproducts, and change:

sql=sql & " order by " & sortstr

to something like:

sql=sql & " order by pother2"

if you want a fully flexible way to display products/topsellers, have a look at our product-showcase addon, which allows you to show any selection of products using any format, and which lets you have multiple calls with different options on the same pages, and also lets you use context-sensitive displays etc etc:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=105

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on April 08 2007 04:51:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: