Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 oRDER HAS BEEN SHIPPED EMAIL, SIMPLE CUSTOMER EMAI
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BILLCAT
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - December 14 2005 :  23:12:50  Show Profile  Visit BILLCAT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wE ARE A WHOLESALE COMPANY THAT USES VPASP 5.50. I WONDER IF ANYONE HAS RUN INTO THIS OR HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO HOW TO DEAL WITH THIS ISSUE.

What we do now.

Once an order is received, charged and shipped , every night we gather up all our ordesr and open up outlook to send our clients an email telling them that their order has shipped, we also provide them with the ups tracking #. well its not a tracking # . Its the order # which we add the prefix EBC in front of it, the client can now go to our site and track their order using the track order function from UPS. When we ship ther order we manually enter the refference #, which is the EBC + the order #, something like
EBC19255.

this method has worked fine for years , but it is becoming a pain in th behind to manually send the emails and we always type the emails incorrectly and just get the email returned to us, we then have to resend the email manually.

What to do:

I know VPASP has an automatic "email on processed" function using
the option package:
xmailprocessed
xmailprocessedtemplate

The problem is that not every order that is clicked as processde needs an email sent with the tracking #. Sometimes I want to mark an order as processed because it was cancelled and i do not want to delete it.

Question:

Is there a way to send the processed email on selected orders only, while marking them as processed, and not send the email on everything i mark as processed.

Any help would be appreciated it would save us hours every day.

Thanks
Bill
EBC

searley
VP-CART New User

169 Posts

Posted - December 15 2005 :  01:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could turn on the auto email, ans customise the email to your needs as this will save you lots of time

and the few that you dont want to send the email on you could simply edit the order and change oprocessed from false to True

Although not sure why you would want to keep uncomplete orderes
Go to Top of Page

BILLCAT
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - December 15 2005 :  19:36:01  Show Profile  Visit BILLCAT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Searley

Thanks for taking the time to posting a reply. As of today we are using your suggestion. When I need to mark an order as processed and not send an email I just use the order edit function and change the oproccesd from False to true.
I have edited the tmp_mailprocessed.txt file to fit our needs and turned on the mail on processed feature in the system config. We reloaded the Config table and it worked like champ. Thanks again for your input.

As far as why i want to mark an order as proccesd if it was cancelled , the reasons are many. I don't know if it is our industry or if this is a problem throughout. For example Her eis one that has happened to us several times: a client places an order without paying for it(topic for another post). we then send an email explaining that the order was received as such and that we were unsure if they encountedred technical problems or jst opted out of ordering, bla , bla , bla. We then make contact with the client and agrees to send a money order, or call back later with a credit card, whatever it happens to be. 5, 10, 20 days go by, no payment. At this point we cancel the order, gone. Client calls back and says where my package. I can't find the order , I can't find evidence of it being shipped , at this point It looks like I lost it. The customer says they paid for it, and want a refunf or to have it shipped immediately next day air because they all of a sudden needed it 3 days ago. Nevermind it was not paid for. By the time I get around to looking at all my daily totals, ups and postal service logs, freight comapny pickup logs, fedex lookups, etc. I almost feel guilty enough to just re-send a package that was not sent in the first place and that never needed to go out. We use the tracking message feature extensively , Instead of cancelling an order I just mark them as processed , and when a crazy person calls, I knwo what happened on our end.

I wish VPASP would make it easier to email client. You know how in admin the email setup function only works in the customer admin section it should also work in the orders display that way we can send an email based on the order not the client.

better yet next to the delete box , we should have a a box called email, with a drop down box next to it with a list of your email templates to choose from, and a send email button. i know that VPASP is not an email program , but it sure would be nice.

Thanks again
Bill

Go to Top of Page

searley
VP-CART New User

169 Posts

Posted - December 16 2005 :  04:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I modified my order display, it has an extra colum called 'unconfirmed'

If a customer says they will pay by cheque, or they have gone to the trouble we mark it as unconfirmed

this works in a similar way to marking as procssed, except a different email is sent to the customer saying we got an order, but no payment.. then... ahhh read it for yourself http://www.inkcarts.co.uk/tmp_customerunconfirmed.txt

The order is then hidden from the main display order screen, and marked as unconfirmed, NOT processed

in the order screen we then have the dropdown box the says All Orders, Processed, Unprocessed, Unconfirmed

Then when we get an enquiry in 3 weeks, we can say the reason it is not sent, as that we dont have the payment, but all the details are still there

then every month or so we list all the unconfirmed email, and delete the ones over 2 months old

this process removes any question over 'what has happened' to the order, processed means sent, unconfirmed means it not
Go to Top of Page

BILLCAT
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - December 21 2005 :  13:12:00  Show Profile  Visit BILLCAT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Searly

You continue to amaze me.

That is a very efficient way to handle those situations. Do you know how I can apply that change to our site?

Thanks again
Bill
Go to Top of Page

BILLCAT
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - December 21 2005 :  13:20:21  Show Profile  Visit BILLCAT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Searly,

I took a good look at your site. There Are some items you have on it that i wish I had. I like the way it shows the login page during checkout that asks if you are an existing customer or to sign up. I also wish I had an RMA section like you do. How do you come up with it? are they addons or just mods to the code.?

Thanks again
Bill
Go to Top of Page

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - December 22 2005 :  15:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BILLCAT

Searly,

I took a good look at your site. There Are some items you have on it that i wish I had. I like the way it shows the login page during checkout that asks if you are an existing customer or to sign up. I also wish I had an RMA section like you do. How do you come up with it? are they addons or just mods to the code.?

Thanks again
Bill

Hey Bill,

There are two ways to achieve the functionality you want, either by code manipulation or buying some add-ons.

I have done both to get the look and functionality I want.

Some pointers where to look;

1. www.bigyellowzone.com - stacks here ! - invoice/packslip, people who bought this also bought that etc, bulk change etc worth the look !

2. www.website-flash-templates.com - great templates to play with, very well priced.

3. www.shopforus.com - some free code snippets & Faqs, RMA and templates at reasonable prices.

Have a look around, I am sure there are other places too that have some great add-ons.

v6 of vp-asp also seems to have some new mods also, I am yet to upgrade, but it all seems very very good

cheers
rustytec

Go to Top of Page

searley
VP-CART New User

169 Posts

Posted - December 23 2005 :  02:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hide unconfirmed orders was a bit of code provided by Your Virtual Store, they no longer seem to sell it, but i guess you could email them and ask!

the add on was discussed here: http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1509

The rma feature we got from shopforus.com, and then made changes to suite use just saves time!

The login during checkout is an idea i pinched from the new V6, had to make the code changes myself for that, but was semi-easy, i did this because so many existing customers would get mad through trying to re-enter the details all the time, and not being allowed, no matter how clear we made it

The biggest change we made ourselves was the way the customer form is handled, for example if a field is completed incorrectly, the cell turns red

Also you will notice that the customer form is secure ie https://

We have full points redemption to gift certificates

The offer scroller we did ourself, and is driven from the database

Another big change was 'Buy 2 get 1 Free' is automatically handled by the cart

This is one of the reasons we still use V5, as we have made so many changes

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)