Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.00 Questions
 Choosing Languages
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robmac
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - December 10 2005 :  02:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can I display the available languages/flags for foreign languages ?
I want the user to be able to select the language that they prefer rather than use the LCID as
a) Our products are technical and sometimes they prefer to read the technical specs in English rather than their native language.
b) A lot of European companies work in English so if someone is using a computer at work the LCID will not be for their country.

I would also like the language selection to change the currency to the appropriate currency but I cannot see a way to link these together

robmac
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - December 10 2005 :  12:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<%Navigateshowlanguages%> can be used to create a drop down list of the languages.
This is incorrectly documented as <%Navigateshowlanguage%> for anyone else that is trying to do this.

I would still like know how to have a relationship between language and currency
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - December 10 2005 :  17:22:21  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for letting us know about the incorrect faq. We have updated this in our online help notes.

In the International section of the config you can set the default language the site uses:

xlanguage = ENGLISH

Change this to match whatever default language you wish to use. For example you could insert GERMAN or SPANISH as required.

There is currently no relationship0 between the languages and the currency. This was done deliberately to provide greater control over the display.

Thank you
VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

robmac
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - December 11 2005 :  08:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I can see that this might be logical in North America I am not sure it for the rest of the world, Europe in particular.

If a customer changes to say Spanish from English it would make sense to automatically change the currency to the local currency ie Euro's.

It would be useful for a customer to override the currency associated with the language after changing language but this makes sense as an override behaviour rather than the default.
Go to Top of Page

natlus
Starting Member

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - December 14 2005 :  10:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe there is also a snippet of code that allows the user to select the currentcy. That way you can have 2 drop down menus: 1 for language and 1 for currency. Maybe it already has that, but i haven't checked.

I love vpasp!
Go to Top of Page

jelldragon
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  03:37:57  Show Profile  Visit jelldragon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with robmac. It should be possible to link currency and language so that when you change one it changes the other also. It is too fiddly for users to select a language and then also select select a currency. I know some of my users will get confused!

Please implement this change if at all possible VP-ASP!

Cheers, Rob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00