Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 CrystalTech & problems with session variables
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

susanfw
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - October 17 2005 :  18:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been having problems with a client's shopping cart since we went online 8 months ago. Customers get errors, they bypass the payment page, and more problems in about 20% of purchase attempts. The site is hosted by CrystalTech. After going back and forth with vp-asp tech support, trying to fix what appears to be a problem with session variables, it was suggested that I switch hosting companies. I've been told that CrystalTech has been having problems with this lately. Crystaltech denies that this is a problem with their servers.
So my question is has anyone here had similar probelems with CrystalTech that were fixed simply by switching hosts? and what host did you switch to?

Thanks
Susan

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - October 17 2005 :  18:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is the specific error you're getting and could you please elaborate more on during when the problem happens?

Go to Top of Page

susanfw
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - October 17 2005 :  18:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generally, it was calls from customers saying they weren't able to make a purchase. Not every time, but enough to know there is a problem. Neither my client nor I were able to duplicate the problem. Radek & Cam have told me that this is caused by session variables not being carried through correctly and believe it is a hosting problem.

I've also been looking at the site statistics and see that every day since the site has been online that there are instances of error messages of "An error occurred please restart shopping."

Susan

Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - October 18 2005 :  00:42:57  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You need to get a hold of the web log. I will show you what they did and that resonse they got.

Go to Top of Page

Piercebody
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - October 18 2005 :  04:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am also hosted with crystalTech. I am looking for your valuable suggestions to avoid the inconveniences in the ordering process.

My customer also keep saying that they loose orders.

Please share your valuable suggestions..

Regards,
Matt.

Go to Top of Page

StevenWWinters
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - October 18 2005 :  04:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious as to what platform are you using? Windows/mySQL, Windows/Access, Windows/SQL???

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 18 2005 :  04:57:48  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's very common to lose sessions, especially on shared servers.

it's not really a vpasp problem; it's just that a lot of hosts don't assign sites enough memory or allow one site to steal all the memory from the other sites.

you'll get the usual "your code is broken" or "your code uses too much memory" or "your cursors/connections aren't getting closed" response from most hosts, which in the case of vpasp is a bogus reply, so just ignore that and try a better host.

we use webecs.com, and they've been fantastic; as soon as we moved to them all our dropped-session problems disappeared and have never returned.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

alindsey
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - October 18 2005 :  08:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We host at CrystalTech, and early on had similar problems, but it seemed to focus on the gateway (PlugNPay). After some code changes to the gateway COM, the dropped orders problem went away. As I recall the issue was something to do with "concurrency" whatever that was.

Here's a clip from one of the people involved in solving our problem:
-----------------------------------------------------
This is the concurrency issue I was talking about:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q183110

The default setting in windows only allows two concurrent connections to a webserver by WinINET. Since you are on a shared server, you do not have the ability to control this setting. WinHTTP resolves this issue.

Also, see this document:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238425
-----------------------------------------------------

Our configuration is Windows server for the host and a MySQL database on a separate LINUX server. We currently are at order number 694, and most recently have been running without major problems.

Alan

Go to Top of Page

susanfw
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - October 18 2005 :  09:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
devshb - Did you move from CrystalTech? or another host?

The site is on a Windows/SQL platform

Susan

Edited by - susanfw on October 18 2005 09:44:19
Go to Top of Page

Piercebody
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - October 18 2005 :  10:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have moved from Crystal Tech -shared plan to the dedicated plan.

Just before 1 days I moved and still looking the same problem exists.

Can any of you please explain the remedy to solver the problem.

Appreciate your supports.

regards,
Matt.

Go to Top of Page

susanfw
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - October 18 2005 :  11:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
apswater - What does a dropped session varaible look like in a web log?

Susan

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 18 2005 :  14:52:08  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
susanfw; no, we didn't move from crystaltech; we moved from gearhosts; I don't have any personal experience of crystaltech, but their response/situation seems very similar to what happened to us at gearhosts.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)