Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Using Microsoft Access 2003
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bettylou
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - October 10 2005 :  17:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, please forgive me if I sound like a complete idiot but I am thinking of purchasing Access 2003 and I was curious exactly how it works. Is it something that I can use to enter data that I can then link to my database in the shopping cart? I have a web site with products that frequently change prices or have coupons applied and I would really like to be able to only have to enter the data in one location and then have it changed throughout.

Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Have a great day,
Sandy

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 10 2005 :  18:45:12  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You actually won't need to buy Access in order to use it on your site. The same goes for sqlserver.

There's 2 main aspects to Access databases; the engine (ie the bit which does all the processing) and the contents (ie the tables/data). The engine is part of the Access software, which is used if you use Access databases on your own pc. The data is held in individual files. Just think along the lines of MSWord; you have the MSWord software which lets you create documents, and you also have individual MSWord documents/files. Access works in the same kind of way (.mdb files are the data files).

vpasp comes complete with its own Access .mdb file, which you'd upload to your site. vpasp also comes with admin pages which allow you to enter/maintain your data.

So, you just need to use a host who can use asp and access databases, and you won't need to buy access yourself as all the relevant stuff will be done through/on the site so you don't need the Access software on your local pc.

You'd upload your vpasp files to your site, and then just use the vpasp admin pages to maintain your products.

You'd need to also ensure that you upload your access .mdb file to a directory on your site which isn't browsable (eg "_private") and point your shop$config.asp vpasp file's dblocation value to that directory.

All the Access stuff will be held/processed by your host/site, and not linked to anything on your pc. Your host (if they accept Access databases) will have the Access engine on their system so it'll be available to your site's files, and your data file (.mdb) will be held on your site by the host and that's what you'd link your cart to.

SQLServer is similar, except that you don't have an mdb file. But the same basic logic applies to sqlserver; namely that it's all done on the host/site and not locally. This is an especially important thing to note for sqlserver, because to buy sqlserver for your pc is very expensive and not needed.

There is a bit more to it than that, and that's really just a simplification, but I think that's the basic idea of how it all works.

In summary; don't buy something that you think you won't need; pick a host who accepts Access databases, and try it out (webecs.com are a really good host for asp using Access databases; some hosts don't have their Access/Server settings correct and their database files lock/freeze, but we've never had that problem with webecs.com, and they have a trial period too)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on October 10 2005 18:55:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000