Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Shipping Select
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - October 02 2005 :  00:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the following as the first "Select" in the shipping option list, other options with prices are listed in the complete pull-down list for the customer to choose from:

1) ------ Select Shipping Preference Below ------

The above is the absolute maximum number of characters I can have. In other words, in the shipping table, when I edit, I can't add even one more character to the above, it won't save.

In enterprise manager, I increased the varchar in shipping methods to 255. No difference. Went through every asp page I could find to try and increase the size of this Select, nothing helps.

I need to be able to provide a bit more useful information in the pull-down shipping option list. Does anyone know how to do this? Why is shipping table so darn limited in terms of text entry??

This is one of those "should be simple" things that ends up being hours of frustration with VPASP.

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - October 20 2005 :  18:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

The shipmethod field in the "shipmethods" table is defined as a text field with a limit of 50 characters. If you are using an Access database, you should be able to open the database in Microsoft Access and increase the field size in the Design view of the table.

Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - October 21 2005 :  11:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greatphoto,

Thanks for the response. In SQL, shipmethod is varchar with a length of 255, at least that's what I set it to. The increase has no effect though, the select list is still limited in terms of text. I thought perhaps somewhere there was a limit being placed within some code on an asp page to keep the select list at a certain visual size, so guys like me don't add too much text. But, I'd still like to add a bit more info than 50 characters provide.

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - October 21 2005 :  19:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no experience on the SQL side, but I might still have some ideas to help in narrowing this down.

1) Can you write >50 characters to the shipmethod field using a SQL database GUI tool? If this works, then at least you'll know if your change to the varchar is working and the database is no longer limiting the size.

2) If first step works, then check the "Select" shipping options list in the checkout. If it shows the full width of your new wider entry then you'll know that the restriction is occuring in the administration panel ASP code before the data is written to the database. Otherwise, you'll know that the restriction is in the checkout display ASP code.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00