Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Comments about VP-ASP
 ASP.net planned?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - September 10 2005 :  09:59:56  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Since MS is deprecating ASP and switching everything over to ASP.net; I am finding it harder and hard to find good ASP programmers. Most of them switched over to ASP.net 2 years ago.

Are there any plans to switch VPASP over to a .net cart?

Wayne
Gift Baskets - Still holding 1st page ranking 7 months strong! Want your web site on the first page?Join Here

lewisar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  04:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a new vpasp user I was quite surprised to find the only mention of .NET on this 20-month old post, and it has no replies. What Wayne said is even more relevant today, as getting Classic ASP to run under IIS7 (the default for Vista/Longhorn) is not simple, and it is not supported by default! Once Longhorn is finally released (any day now so I understand), then Windows Hosting is rapidly going to move to IIS7 (try buying a PC today without Vista/IIS7 on it for example), and we're probably going to see a lot of posts here requesting help on getting vpasp sites to run!

Is there any news at all on this front? Apart from anything else, ASP.NET is a whole lot better and easier to use than Classic ASP!

Ade
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  05:38:39  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From our perspective (ie building/selling/maintaining addons that work with vpasp), we'd be more than happy to create asp.net versions of our vpasp addons; all our addons are very modular anyway, so would be easy to convert.
so, I'm all for it too.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  16:55:02  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having worked with servers for the last 20+ years, I don't think the rush to Longhorn / IIS7 will be as dramatic as you think. I know quite a few businesses still running NT4 servers, mainly because they just work.

Bob Stone
www.kansasstamps.org
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  17:00:07  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But then again for as many as hold backs there are there are just as many people who are slaves to the upgrade treadmill.

Bob Stone
www.kansasstamps.org
Go to Top of Page

Scooter
VP-CART New User

USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  18:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my end i like .ASP much more than .NET. VPASP is great as it is open source and you can do what you want with it.

When you go .NET all of sudden everything much better for vendor as you can lock it down much more but not so much good for developer. Sure lots of handy things in .NET but .ASP has lots and more stuff cos it has been around longer.

Stay .ASP please VPASP. Lots of .NET carts out there if you want .NET. I want .ASP so use VPASP.

My 2.5 lira

S.
Go to Top of Page

lewisar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  08:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, some interesting replies ... but none from the vpasp team themselves? Come on guys, I'm sure this topic has at least been discussed in your offices!

Bob has a valid point about the speed of uptake of Longhorn, although since we're talking mostly about ISPs here rather than companies who provide their own websites on their own hardware, I do expect this to be quite rapid. I mean how many Windows hosts do you see out there publicising the fact that they're hosting on Windows 2000 never mind NT? Since it's actually not possible any more to buy a new PC off the shelf in PC World in the UK with anything but Vista installed (at least it's not in my local branch), the question is rapidly going to become relevant for developers using their own hardware anyway, unless we deliberately uninstall and reinstall XP, and however attractive that option may seem at present, it won't be for long!

And Scooter, I don't know whether you have Vista yet, but like it or not, once you've got it Classic ASP is harder than it ought to be to maintain, unless you're really happy to work with Notepad. Think you might reinstall Visual Interdev? Not supported. Visual Studio 2003? Not supported. OK, so what about Visual Web Developer, or Expression Web ... yes, you can use them to develop and maintain ASP code, but the trouble is their built-in hosting platform doesn't support Classic ASP, so you'll have to rely on IIS7 - whoops, that's not easy either! ASP is after all a Microsoft technology, and since they ceased supporting it about 4 years ago to concentrate their resources in the .NET arena, sticking with it is going to get harder and harder.

The writing's on the wall, and it would be nice to feel that we're not going to get stuck in a Classic ASP ghetto forever!

Ade
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  08:10:52  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The change sounds minor, just add three letters to the end, right? It is a lot different in the code. I know a fair amount of ASP and very little .NET, so I am going to have to side with the stay ASP myself.

I know all the trade rags are yapping about "the future is .NET" and all that, but they say a lot of things that never happen or will take years to get there. I remember reading about this 'Codename Longhorn' stuff in magazines about 3 or 4 years ago, now Vista is barely out and still in a pre-SP state (read: buggy as hell) and the new server OS is 'coming soon' which means it will be out and workable in about a year.

The change will need to be made, but not today.

Bob Stone
www.kansasstamps.org
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  08:50:32  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep; talking about new software, one thing about vista is that tons of fonts seem to be missing or just not working properly; makes lots of sites look horrible and/or makes their alignment go all wrong when browsing.
"if it ain't broke, don't fix" is usually a good motto to live by when it comes to upgrades

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on May 23 2007 08:51:14
Go to Top of Page

lynch
VP-CART New User

USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  14:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewisar

Well, some interesting replies ... but none from the vpasp team themselves? Come on guys, I'm sure this topic has at least been discussed in your offices!

I'm sure it has... See http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6471 for an earlier answer from support about migrating VPASP to .Net.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  16:19:51  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We certainly do discuss this one inter office. I have been watching this thread with a lot of interest as well.

The next release of VP-ASP will be .NET so everyone will need to strap in as there will be some awesome new features. Dont ask me now though what they are as this is still a long way off! :)

We are in fact looking to split the product so we have one .net version and one .asp.

The demand for .asp is still massive as it is a familiar and comfortable and we can testify the continued popularity through the huge growth in sales we are recording with the release of 650.

So Scooter and Bob we will still have you guys covered (and me for that matter) and for those who like to put their toe in the water VPASP.net should be exactly what you are looking for.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this as we are pretty excited. It is interesting how the argument on here has gone as it reflects the split in our office pretty accurately between those who love .ASP and those who want to see a .NET version come out.

Thanks guys and keep up the chat!

Cam
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

lewisar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  03:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well as far as I'm concerned, that's great news! (But I wonder why my search for ASP.NET only turned up the original post in this thread?!)

Speaking of putting a toe in the .NET pool, I've been up to my neck in it for the last 3 years, having spent the previous 3 years developing pure ASP apps, but because it was a fairly natural progression through the versions, I hadn't realised how different it had become, and when I was looking for a new shopping cart, having never really had the time to understand the PHP ones I've used before since e-commerce sites are a tiny part of my daily work, I simply looked for an ASP cart, and found vpasp. Great product, but when it came to developing bits and pieces, I was horrified at how difficult it is compared with .NET, particular if you've been coerced by force of circumstance into using the latest generation of tools!

It's all do-able, but guys, when you've used the .NET 2 dataset designers and datagrid controls, not to mention the class designers, I'll be amazed if you don't think to yourselves "Wow - I wish I'd had these tools before!"

If you need any beta testers - count me in!

Ade

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00