Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Bulk/Mass Product update Addon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 29 2005 :  14:12:50  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've just released a new addon, which is one of my personal favorites so far!....

Bulk Updater for VP-ASP:
http://bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=103

Instead of manually entering/changing values for each product, you can use this tool to update as many products as you want with the same change at the press of a button.

There are 3 main types of "Bulk Update" - Import/Export, Manual-Edits on a summary screen (both of which are available in VP-ASP by default), and the third one which this addon addresses where you want to say:

"I'll specify the change that I want to make, and then the database updates all the relevant records in one go"

For example, you might want to increase all your prices by 10%, or you might want to change all your Hide values from Yes to No, or you might want to add $2.00 to all your prices.

Of course you don't always want to apply such a change to all your records, maybe you only want it to be applied to products in a certain category, or some other criteria; you can specify such things with this addon.

First you define the criteria that you want to use to find the products that you want to change, then you choose the column that you want to update, then choose/enter the type of change that you want to make.

It also allows you to do a test run so that you can see your potential changes before they get applied so that you can double-check your settings before you apply the change.

To view more details, sample screen shots, or to buy, go to:

http://bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=103

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - July 29 2005 :  14:29:55  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I worked with Simon on developing this highly powerful add-on. I am using it as we speak and it has saves me 100's of hours of site maintanence labor. It is very powerful and flexible and I told him he was selling it too low! You cant go wrong. It works excellent. It is a must for big sites.

I use both is category fix utility and this one and the combination will make your life so much easier when you have to maintain or setup your site.

Thanks Simon.

(Now I still need that snipit that bypasses the admin login screen based on IP.)

Edited by - apswater on July 29 2005 14:30:44
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - July 29 2005 :  16:27:54  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote

To further explain it...

We have 100's of caterogies and 1000's of products. One day one of the suppliers says "Hey, prices on X item are going up 30% because of oil prices... " So I say ok fine, ill have to update the cart... there were 200 or so items that need to be adjusted. Doing them one at a time is a pain in the ass and takes a lot of time... so first I bought product update from someone else here, but they never could get it to work... I finally contacted simon and he came up with the sweetest program. Now I can update price (retail AND sale price) or just one or the other. I can add 30% to a category and every product in that cateogry and all the categories below it with the click of a button. Amazing! I can also say add 3% to vendor X's products and click, bam... done...I then told it to look at the sale price and deduct 15% and put the value in price2... guess what.. I just made reseller pricing for every product on the website... a few clicks, a few seconds and bam! that save an amazing amount of work. You can do all sorts of things with it... especially with math functions... now you can put your cost in say sales3 and you can generate all your sales pricing off a formula... it is sooo easy.

This is one add on you wont want to pass on... I cant wait till he does someothers I am looking for!

(Now I still need that snipit that bypasses the admin login screen based on IP.)

Edited by - apswater on July 29 2005 14:30:44
[/quote]

Edited by - apswater on July 29 2005 16:33:22
Go to Top of Page

sek
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - September 12 2005 :  06:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
has anyone tried this add on?

any comment?

Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - September 12 2005 :  08:13:47  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

has anyone tried this add on?

any comment?

I use this all the time.. it is great.

Edited by - apswater on September 12 2005 08:14:06
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - December 27 2010 :  17:12:27  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have multiple products that already have a short description in the cdescription field. i want to be able to add a line of text AFTER this existing description to about 200 items in my inventory. Can this bulk updater do this, and how?

To be clear, I DON'T want to overwrite the existing description, just add 1 piece of additional common text to many items in the cdescription field.

Can this perform this function?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - December 27 2010 :  17:45:18  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes; the byz089 addon can do that.

On block 2 (ie the "Product Update Options" block) do this:

1. set the "Field that you want to update:" to cdescription.

2. choose/click this radio button:
Any Field: Set to SQL statement/value

3. in the text block next to the radio button mentioned in point 2, (ie under the "Set field to SQL statement/value of:" label), enter one of these, depending on which type of database you're using:

a) for access databases, enter:

cdescription&' My Extra Value'

b) for sqlserver databases enter:

cdescription+' My Extra Value'

c) for mysql databases enter:

CONCAT(cdescription,' My Extra Value')

Then, on block one (ie the "Product Search Parameters" block), you can optionally specify a where clause as part of the search to make sure that you don't add the text when it's already on the end, so you might enter this into the "Additional search criteria:" box:

cdescription not like '% My Extra Value'

Then do a perform-test-run to double-check the current/proposed values and to see which products it hits. If the test run all looks ok, then press the execute-update button to do a live run.

As always with this addon, make sure you've got a backup/export of your products and prodcategories tables before you do an execute-update (live run).

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone

Edited by - devshb on December 27 2010 17:48:24
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - December 27 2010 :  18:18:49  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, this was a huge help! Not being a SQL statement saavy person, is there a good reference online to see these types of statements so I can investigate this further? I'd like to see what other functions are possible using this in the future, like maybe doing a mass removal of text from descritpions as well.

Thanks,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - December 29 2010 :  07:19:59  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"mass removal of text from descriptions" (or swapping one value to another within descriptions) - yes, you can do this via BYZ089.

This is a subject that's been on my mind for a while. I've now released a new version of BYZ089 (V07) which allows that, and the new version also has lots of examples in the readme file.

We had to code-up a special function for it, and for techies out there, here's why stripout/replace is a problem with standard sql, and here's how we changed BYZ089 to allow you to use a "replace" function even though it's not available via sql/ado.....

BYZ089 has been changed so that you can use a "BYZSQLREPLACE" function in your "Set field to SQL statement/value of:" text box to strip values out or swap them.

This works like a standard sql Replace function, except that it also has a case-sensitive/insensitive argument/option, and works on all database types and on memo fields.

Example 1:

BYZSQLREPLACE{cname}{'Christmas'}{'Easter'}{Y}

(to replace all instances of the word "Christmas" with the word "Easter" in your cname field, eg if you had a cname of "Our Best Christmas Offer Yet", then it'd return/set a value of "Our Best Easter Offer Yet").

Example 2:

BYZSQLREPLACE{cname}{'Christmas'}{'Easter'}{N}

(to replace all instances of the word "Christmas" with the word "Easter" in your cname field, ignoring the case of how "Christmas" appears in your source string, eg if you had a cname of "Our Best ChristMas Offer Yet", then it'd return/set a value of "Our Best Easter Offer Yet").

Example 3:

BYZSQLREPLACE{cname}{'Christmas '}{''}{Y}

(to strip-out all instances of the word "Christmas " in your cname field, eg if you had a cname of "Our Best Christmas Offer Yet", then it'd return/set a value of "Our Best Offer Yet" - note that we're using a space at the end of the 'Christmas ' value so that you don't end up with double-spaces, but when doing this you need to be careful that your words still fit their context correctly).

Example 4:

BYZSQLREPLACE{cname}{'Call For Product Code'}{ccode}{Y}

(to replace all instances of the words "Call For Product Code" with a copy of the relevant product code, eg if you had a cname of "Wooden Table, Call For Product Code" and a ccode of "CHAIR001", then it'd return/set a value of "Wooden Table, CHAIR001")

So, you might be asking:
"Why can't I just use standard sql replace, eg Replace(cname,'Christmas','Easter') in my setting box, or via raw sql? Why do I have to use this weird BYZ function instead?"

This is why.....
In Access databases, the Replace function is a VBA function, so you can use it if you're manually running access from your pc, but it's not available on the web via ado/jet (you'd get an error like this if trying to use it on the web: "Undefined function 'replace' in expression").
In SQLServer (and MySQL i think too but I'm not 100% sure), text/ntext (ie memo, or long text) fields won't let you do a replace on them, replace will only work with varchars/nvarchars (ie "normal" text fields), it fails when trying to do replaces on the kind of columns that store very long text.

So, the replace function we've created on byz089 will let you strip-out any chunk of text you want from any product field, and will also let you replace one string with another within any product field, which although it sounds easy, it's actually very difficult to do without something like byz089.

(and the other benefit of using byz089 instead of raw sql is that you can see the before/after values without it actually updating via the test-run)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone

Edited by - devshb on December 29 2010 07:28:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly