Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Structuring products/categories
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyssen
Starting Member

28 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  22:08:52  Show Profile  Visit Tyssen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Initially discussed in this thread, I've started a new thread as the nature of my question has changed a bit from the original thread.

What we want to do is have a facility whereby a parent from a school goes to our site and logs on using a username & password supplied by the school. They then choose the grade of their student and are presented with a list of products that kid needs for that year. Each item has a recommended quantity which the parent can accept, add to or subtract from before updating the total. Having accepted the total, the parent then moves onto the ordering process etc.
There are about 20 different schools each with anywhere from 1-12 grades. I've made categories for the schools & the grades and ended up with about 177 categories.
There are over 800 individual product items which can show up in different schools' grade requirements. Altogether, there are about 5000 permutations of product/grade/school.
Up until now I had thought it was a simple matter of assigning the 800+ products to the 177 different categories. Unfortunately, I've now realised that each product can have different quantity numbers depending on school/grade.
So am I right in thinking that I need to now turn my 800+ products into categories themselves which are then attached to grades which are attached to schools and then create products with different quantities which are then attached to the product categories?
Or is there a better way to do this? 900+ categories sounds like an awful lot. Or do I just create the 5000+ products as they are even though it means there's going to be loads of duplicates except for the quantity amount.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by - tyssen on May 31 2005 22:09:56

Tyssen
Starting Member

28 Posts

Posted - June 01 2005 :  00:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Tyssen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just been thinking about this again: would one solution to the different quantities for products depending on their category be to include another field in the prodcategories table with the quantity? If so, how would I go about getting this information in there without having to do every record manually? Is there some way I could modify convertproducts.asp? And would this figure then be easy to edit later on?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00