Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Upgrading: Convert Categories
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kendiala
VP-CART New User

57 Posts

Posted - May 03 2005 :  15:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in the middle of upgrading v3.5 to v5.5, and I need to use the category conversion tool. When I do that, is that going to make the category records in the db unusable with the v3.5 installation? In other words, once I do that, am I then committed to immediately completing the installation so the store service isn't interrupted?

TIA

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - May 03 2005 :  19:25:28  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if that's the case or not with the conversion script... I've never tried it.

You're kind pf playing Russian roulette by doing what you described. If it does indeed goof things up, then you have to hope you can pick up the other pieces quickly enough to not have your site down for too long.

I would create a duplicate of your current site and leave an un-touched version running until you have upgraded and modified your "new" version to the point that you are ready to launch. Put the revised site/cart on a subdomain of your site (new.mysite.com, for example), or simply in a subfolder and work on it there. That way you don't run into do-or-die situations like you mentioned, or even potentially screwing up your data beyond repair in the conversion process.

That's what I've done with VP-ASP upgrades I've done in the past. Saves lots of potential headaches for sure.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
---------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting Services
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 21 2005 :  23:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon has good suggestions here. I never make changes directly on my live site. I host a local test copy of the site on a local PC. I make all the upgrade changes, and then after days of testing, I upload the result to the live site. You are likely to have multiple bugs to work through before your upgrade is fully functioning.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00