Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Feedback on using suppliers to ship product direct
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LT
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - April 04 2005 :  17:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just in the process of finishing the set up of my new web site and I'm interested to know whether any other VPASP users have had experience in selling their own products plus those on behalf of suppliers (ie: where I accept payment for orders, the supplier receives an email when an order is made and they are responsible for packing and shipping. We pay them at the end of the month minus a small commission).

My idea was to use the functionality of VPASP to allow suppliers to log in and establish their own products and pricing. I'm a little worried that suppliers (even after I screen them and have them sign an agent agreement) may not be reliable enough. Does anyone have any feedback as to the success of this type of set up?

Any help is much appreciated.
Luke

Edited by - LT on April 04 2005 17:09:58

dunpeal
VP-CART New User

70 Posts

Posted - September 17 2007 :  12:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also interested if anyone has experience with this
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 18 2007 :  04:34:51  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although this aspect isn't related to the data-entry aspect, it is related to the supplier aspect, and does seem relevant given the overall topic.

You might find our packing slip useful if using suppliers, because the latest version of the packing slip has a supplier email option:

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=18

I know that vpasp also has supplier emails, but our supplier slip emails have various extra aspects that would be useful in this situation, such as:
1) Resend supplier emails via admin screens (and you can also view them before you send them)
2) Supplier emails in html format using templates
3) Supplier email attachments (ie you can add the "customer slip" for the supplier items as an attachment to the supplier email, so that the supplier can print out the attachment and stick it in their package as the package-inventory list, while still also getting their own notification email of the items concerned, and the format of the attachment and the main supplier email can use different text/formats as they use different templates from each other) Both formats (supplier attachment, and supplier email) only display the supplier's items from the order, not the full/mixed order if from multiple suppliers (ie as per vpasp supplier emails)

In this instance, it's point 3 that's one of the nicest points, because it relates directly to the original posting about packaging/shipping. ie in the situation of a supplier doing the physical packaging/shipping, they can simply print-off the email attachment (ie the "customer's package inventory list") and stick it into/onto the package. The attachment is optional though, you could use supplier emails without a separate email attachment if you wanted. Supplier emails themselves are also optional on the slip overall, ie you don't need to use supplier emails in order to use other aspects of the slip.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on September 18 2007 04:44:39
Go to Top of Page

goshen
VP-CART New User

132 Posts

Posted - September 23 2007 :  00:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is exactly my business model. We have had to customize our cart extensively and are still doing this up till now. That has led to the slow launch of our store. We hold no inventory and our suppliers log in to a separate backend different from the main admin. Based on their subscription level, they are abe to perform different tasks.

When a customer places an order that involves multiple items from different vendors, the vendors (suppliers) are individually sent an email to login to their backend admin to fulfil the order.

This requires a lot of customization to implement.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - September 23 2007 :  07:02:13  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Using the default VPASP suppliers functionality only those items associated with a supplier are included in the email confirmation that the supplier receives.

This can be set up without any coding changes needed to be made.

You can also have suppliers log into the admin and control what they can and cant do without needing to change any of the default coding as well.

For security you can simply make a copy of the admin log in page and name it sometihng unique for each supplier so when they cease being associated with your site you can simply delete the admin login page and remove their details from the log in system.

Simon's add-on does sound interesting though.

Thannks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 23 2007 :  08:18:34  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep; the supplier part of our slip addon is pretty much the same overall logic as what default vpasp does (apart from the attachment), the idea being that if people were using the byz slip for the merchant/customer stuff then we thought it'd be nice to have the same format available for suppliers too.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Rick9004
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - October 24 2007 :  16:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a slightly different question in this same area. I have multiple vendors performing shipping, including my warehouse. I have not found a good way to actually calculate the real shipping by vendor. A perfect scenario would be to at cart time to have each vendor's products separately calculate the shipping using a UPS lookup and the vendor's location. Also ideal would be able to add a product based "shipping and handling charge" that add to the total shipping (and not in a customer un-friendly Handling change area.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks..

Rick
Go to Top of Page

goshen
VP-CART New User

132 Posts

Posted - October 28 2007 :  05:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a very important thread for those of us that are using VPASP to resell items from suppliers/vendors. I will be interested in how other users are managing suppliers and dropshipping. My suppliers are global and are from different part of the world, so UPS realtime does not seem to work for me. I had to custom code (thanks to HK -Happy) my shipping module. The logic was based on location of supplier to customer location. Say for example, a customer from UK orders an item belonging to a supplier from US, the custom shipping is calculated based on these locations.
Go to Top of Page

Rick9004
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - October 31 2007 :  15:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've put together a spec together on exactly what I would want the shipping calc to do.

You can e-mail at rick9004 at hotmail.com for a copy and provide any suggestions.

Once I get everything set, I will shop this around to get a price to build

Rick

Thanks..

Rick
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  17:11:56  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone have something for this? We only have 2 warehouses.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00