Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Credit card fraud and hackers
 Credit card entering with dashes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - February 11 2005 :  13:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried searching the forum with no luck so here's my post. I'm setting up my first VP-ASP and was surprised when I got to entering a credit card number. Most sites I use these days require no spaces or dashes in the credit card number entering, just the numbers. So I was baffled when I kept getting invalid credit card number. I then tried dashes and it worked.

I'm using Autorize.net if that makes any difference. Perhaps they only take the number formatted that way.

I couldn't find anybody else ask about this, so I will. Is there an option in VP-ASP to just take numbers? Or is this just something our users are supposed to understand?

Jeff

wws
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - March 02 2005 :  13:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just ran across this also. It is a problem. I asked support about it and I hope they have a way for me to modify it. In the US at least, it is very UNcommon to have to enter the dash (-) within the credit card number. I believe this will confuse many customers, and I don't like the idea of just posting a notice (since most customers don't read notices) stating that they need to enter the dashes also. It most definitly will result in lost sales.

To answer your Auth.net questions, no, they do not require it.

I'll post back when I get an answer from support.

I don't think this post belongs in this particular forum though, and that may be why you have not received any other replies.

Edited by - wws on March 02 2005 13:25:35
Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - March 03 2005 :  06:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did find the problem. I was using the test Visa number that ends with 111111111. There is a particular check in the code to say that's an invalid number. If you use another credit card test number that doesn't end that way, you don't need to enter dashes.

Go to Top of Page

wws
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - March 03 2005 :  08:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can now get it to work without using dashes, I haven't changed anything. I guess some of the card numbers I was using it didn't like, but I don't know how it decides whether it likes them or not since they have all been formatted correctly with proper exp dates. I am not using a gateway. FYI 4111111111111111 won't work according to support, however 4111-1111-1111-1111 does work. Go figure.

Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - March 04 2005 :  07:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's because in the code it checks to see if the right 8 characters are "11111111". Since you entered dashes, it will pass that check.

Go to Top of Page

wws
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - March 05 2005 :  13:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That makes sense, thanks. I didn't dig into the actual checking portion of the code.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00