Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 How to get Quantity pricing to work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - February 05 2005 :  11:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My client wants to use quantity pricing but I can't quite figure out all the variables to make it happen. I have a higher category with 2 subcategories. If more than 6 items out of all those categories are ordered than a 15% discount applies.

I know I need to set xquantityprices to Yes. The next part is where it gets muddy.

I tried adding 3 quantity discount items for each categoryid, the higher category (ID=10) and the 2 subcategories (13 and 14). That didn't work. I then tried just 1 quantity discount for the higher categoryid. Didn't work.

I don't quite understand the groupfordiscount feature but I don't think I need to go to every product in those categories and set that since every item in those categories applies.

So what's the right way to accomplish what I want?

Thanks,
Jeff

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - February 10 2005 :  06:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In case anyone was wondering the solution to this, I worked with the VP support and the answer was having to use the groupfordiscount feature. For some reason the CategoryID feature didn't work. Even though I have to edit each product to group them together which takes longer, as long as it works that's fine with me.
Jeff

Go to Top of Page

flyonmypoop
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - March 06 2005 :  17:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having the same problem. After digging through the asp code it looks like discounting is only partially built with VPASP's included code. I believe it is not completely implemented, hence it does not work.

I'd like to know if anyone has this working and what asp changes they made...

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 08 2005 :  06:00:01  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When using the Quantity Based discounting it is important to understand that it checks the product's ccategory field for the category matching. So it will only associate a product with the main category specified in the ccategoy field, not all categories and subcategories.

flyonmypoop: It is not clear what you would consider complete. Please give us more details on what you require and we will try to help.

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - March 09 2005 :  20:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, full support for category based quantity discount would allow discounts based on sub-categories...not just the highest category. It would be good to be able to specify a single sub-category or list of sub-categories and for all items within those sub-categories to be grouped.

My feeling all along has been that there is not full support for sub-categories in VP-ASP. My understanding was that versions earlier than 4.5 or so may not have allowed sub-categories. Many things in the design (such as quantity discounts and Xdisplaycategoryfiles) seem to be optimized for carts with no sub-categories, as they kindof ignore that sub-categories exist. I have suspected that these features were designed before sub-categories were implemented. Then, when the sub-categories were added, the features weren't extended to fully operate with sub-categories.

Of course, the actual history may be different than what I described. I'm just saying that this could be a good explanation for the various features that aren't fully compatible with sub-categories.

Edited by - greatphoto on March 09 2005 20:13:48
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - March 09 2005 :  20:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't quite understand the groupfordiscount feature but I don't think I need to go to every product in those categories and set that since every item in those categories applies.

So what's the right way to accomplish what I want?

Hi Jeff-

Yes, I had the same problem and came to the same solution in the end. I agree its not the optimal solution since it requires editing all the individual products, but isn't too bad in the end.

(Sorry I didn't respond before. I was offline for a while due to a new birth in my family. In fact, my wife was in labor the day you made this posting! ;-)

Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - March 10 2005 :  07:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the birth!

Go to Top of Page

vinit
Starting Member

India
1 Posts

Posted - March 17 2005 :  03:40:04  Show Profile  Visit vinit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi!,
even i am facing same sort of problem
We also wanted to offer quantity pricing in a particular category but it doesnt seems to work.
Can anyone guide whats the proper way to use it and how does the group discounting method helps in that.
My scenario is
Categories --> Jewelry --> Anklet --> Silver Anklet
in this sub category we wish to give discounts to people who buy more than 10 no of pieces from this group of products can anyone guide how we can use the same.

we are using the latest verion VPASP version 5.50

Thanks & Sincere Regards
VInit

Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - March 17 2005 :  07:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VInit,
You'll just need to use the group discounting. Check out the developer's documentation at section "31.2 Quantity Processing". You'll want to add a new record in the QuantityDiscounts table. Make sure that categoryid and catalogid are blank, enter 11 in the minquantity field, quantity1 I entered 9999 because I knew nobody (it would be nice though) would order that much, and the decimal percentage in discount1 such as .10. For the group discount enter any word in the groupfordiscount field. Now for all the products in your Silver Anklet category, add that same word in the Discount Group (groupfordiscount) field.

Hope that helps.
Jeff

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00