Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Problem: V5.50 Empty Cart but cookies are enabled!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 24 2005 :  01:51:50  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're using a separate directory between product pages and other vpasp pages, make sure the shop$config.asp file has the same xshopid value (assuming it's using the same database)

It might be the different directory aspect which is causing the problem (especially if you're using an access database) because it might be that the setup is seeing that the database is in a different relative directory and then assuming it's a different shop. I think this is a problem that we had when using different directories. We got round it with using our "multiple directories" addon which deals with that aspect; see:
http://bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=53

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

telesites net
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts

Posted - October 04 2005 :  19:16:34  Show Profile  Visit telesites net's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

We had this problem raise its ugly head today - the person reporting the exact problem (they add items into the shop then when they go to check out - nothing is there) is using AOL.

Nothing unusual there except that we had two other reports over the past two days of people who could not post into our Snitz forum (for some reason they could not stay logged in) which looked to be a cookies issue and guess what - they both had AOL installed.

Looking deeper into the situation - it would appear that they had installed the AOL program even though they didn't use AOL to access the Internet (they just did it to get their email). It would appear that AOL then changed all the settings on their PC so that the default browser was AOL and they no longer could just open up the IE browser without logging into AOL. This also appears to have stopped allowing them to get cookies properly.

To resolve this issue we had our clients who both use windows XP change their settings in the "Change Program Access and Defaults" area. Their settings were set to custom - we had them change them back to Microsoft so the AOL browser was not the default but instead they got back to using IE as the default.

On one client we also had to add the forum's web site address to the "Trusted Sites" list to get the cookies to work properly. IE menu - Tools - Internet Options - Security TAB -

I hope this helps someone because we were scratching our heads until we got enough people with similar cookie related errors to be able to trace this back to AOL browser / program.

www.TELEsites.Net
Set your sites here!
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - October 19 2005 :  20:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's good info! Thanks for posting it. Its a bit scary too, though. How many customers do you lose who don't take the time to let you help them debug what AOL has done to their system?

It is different from the problem I had since we could replicate my problem on my own system (without AOL), friend's systems, and even on the VP-ASP test system.

Go to Top of Page

rnp
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  19:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had the same problem (and posted to this forum).

We found that some of the new virus/privacy software (McAffee) had been resetting the cookies in IE to HIGH rather than the default MEDIUM - the cart cookies work fine with the MEDIUM setting, but not with the HIGH setting. We have been going back to customers with the fix for this (ie: changing the cookie setting - which is a pain as alot of our customers are older, and new to the net, and scared of changing anything!) - but its not the answer and we fear we are loosing sales over it.

Does anyone have any new ideas on a fix for this?? We saw a post regarding using XML to adjust the user settings but our ISP knows nothing about it.

Does VPASP have a fix other than to use the cookieless mode?

Tony
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  03:15:02  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We don't unfortunately as certain operations require that security be set to Medium High. When 3rd party software breaks the users browser without them knowing it opens a whole can of worms.

One option is to create a custom page that displays a cookie test for the customer and if the test fails instructions on how to fix the browser.

Thanks,
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

rnp
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  00:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cam .....

we have cludged a few interim solutions together, but it is not pretty & certianly not the final solution to the problem.

Would anyone here have a bit of code that would do the cookie test, or have a site that they can point me at to find one.

We have already put together a page to point users at, and also changed our error message so that when this particular error comes up it tells the user 'Your cookies must be set to 'Medium' to work on this site - please select item 14 on our FAQ page" -

For those others who are having this problem and want the info the customer requires to fix the problem at their end check out the link below & feel free to copy as needed.

http://www.craftonline.com.au/faq-cookies.html

Has anyone else had any success using XML to fix the problem?

Tony
Go to Top of Page

mike282
Starting Member

Indonesia
2 Posts

Posted - December 05 2006 :  21:53:21  Show Profile  Visit mike282's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Over two years using V.5.5 didn't have this problem, until 2 months ago our webhost provider did major upgrades to their database server, and we started to have this same problem where the cart is empty just after few minutes of shopping by our customers. Received the same message as "greatphoto" describe. Talk over with our webhost provider and they can't help anything. I don't have anymore credit to ask for Tech Support via the Help Desk either.

This problem is also added with a problem we have when we try to administered our shop from the admin page. Just after few minutes of updating products, the shop admin get reset/error message of

unknown LangAdminUnauth
unknown LangCommonHome

These two problem happened I know after the webhost upgraded their system because we have not done any changes to our shop scripts for almost two years, and was working just fine before that.

Any suggestions other than listed on this forum?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - December 05 2006 :  22:00:33  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,

Version 6.091 has code now to deal with the unknown lang issue.

We are actually changing the integral way VP-ASP works for version 650 so sessions will hopefully not cause problems in the future.

The problem you are describing is caused by the application resetting itself. When you first login to the admin system the shopping cart checks to see if the application (language/configuration) variables are loaded into memory.

The usual cause for this problem is if your web hosting company has your site running in a "Web garden" setup where your site is shared between multiple processes/servers.

Another possibility is if you are assigned to an application pool that has too many sites assigned to it causing each site to be intermittently recycled.

You would need to ask your web hosting company to make sure that you are not assigned to a web garden type setup and to assign you to your own application pool that has recycling disabled and the recycler process set to recycle your site only once at a set time during the day.

This should resolve your issues for the time being.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

mike282
Starting Member

Indonesia
2 Posts

Posted - December 06 2006 :  23:21:24  Show Profile  Visit mike282's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greatphoto

[quote]

The solution from Cam was this:
He edited shopdisplayproducts.asp to add a single line. Just after line 47, he added "ShopInit"

So, the file changes from this:
<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>
dim rc
' end mod
'*****************************************************
' open database and see if we are doing with html or not
' See if this is a next page request or first time
'******************************************************
initializesystem
[/code]

To this:
<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>
dim rc
' end mod
'*****************************************************
' open database and see if we are doing with html or not
' See if this is a next page request or first time
'******************************************************
ShopInit
initializesystem
[/code]

I tried this solution didn't work...I'm using V.5.5 and my shopdisplayproducts.asp didn't have initializesystem at the end of that line. When I tried inserting it like above with

ShopInit
initializesystem

I get Internal Server Error on the page when tried to display product. If I only insert ShopInit, the page slow down to a crawl to display products or search result.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00