Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Bug: Discounts & Gift Certificates incompatible
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - January 26 2005 :  21:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VP-ASP versions affected: 5.5, 5.0, and presumably older versions as well

Description: The discounts feature and the gift certificates feature are incompatible. They should not both be enabled in a VP-ASP store because correct configuration of both is not possible.

Gift certificates are not taxed (at least in the US). This is supported in the cart by configuring xtaxexcludeproducts=99999.

Store discounts should also not be taxed. In other words, taxes should be computed after the discount is subtracted from the checkout total. (This was not handled correctly by VP-ASP in the past, but has been fixed in patched copies of V5.50. See http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3358)

The incompatibility bug that keeps these two features from operating correctly together in the same cart is this: For the discounts to be taxed correctly, xtaxexcludeproducts must be blank. Therefore, a shop owner must choose between offering gift certificates or discounts. They can't both be used correctly.

Solution:
A new shoptax.asp is available from support that solves this.

(Legacy comment: One possible clumsy workaround is to only allow gift certificate purchases to be made over the phone. This may give the shop owner a chance to manually correct the order totals using cart admin before the order is processed.)

Support: Please add the above text to the bug listings found in the faq at these locations:
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/info/prb_version500.htm
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/info/faq_vpasp550issues.htm

Updating listing to reflect the fix that was supplied by Cam.

Edited by - greatphoto on June 15 2006 07:09:15

epseja
VP-CART New User

USA
61 Posts

Posted - January 30 2006 :  14:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! Since Gift Certificates are essentially cash, they should not be subject to discount codes. Allowing this lets people double-dip by buying the GC at a discount, then applying another discount to their cart and paying with the discounted GC.

VP-ASP... this is indeed a bug! Is there a fix?
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  15:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
epseja is actually talking about a different problem, that I don't have experience with.

In regards to my original post, there is a solution available from support. Cam emailed me a modified version of shoptax.asp that fixed it. He actually did this quite a while back, but I hadn't gotten a chance to fully test it and post the results. Thanks Cam!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00