Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Products won''t show in cart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrprez
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - January 23 2005 :  21:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using a MS SQL manager to upload my products. I have all of the categories loaded and I have populated the prodcategories table with all of my subcategories.

When I finish uploading the text file with the product information, it is there in admin but in order for it to show up in the cart, I have to manually update each item. Running convertproducts.asp does not help.

I even have some products where I have manually updated each one by going into edit and then clicking on update but they still do not show up in the cart.

Is there something I am missing here? Surely I don't have to manually update 2700 items?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
John

Edited by - mrprez on January 23 2005 21:42:37

wft
VP-CART New User

66 Posts

Posted - January 23 2005 :  23:29:44  Show Profile  Visit wft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mrprez

well, you populate producategories with converproducts.asp utility and still doesn't now.

please check a field in products table called "hide" , this value should be ==> 0 ( from admin , "no" )

perhahs you can compare the record you update manually and the records won't show up in the cart. what fields are different?

wft
www.website-flash-templates.com

Go to Top of Page

mrprez
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - January 24 2005 :  05:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I know about convertproducts.asp. I tried to run that even though prodcategories is already filled in for each item.

There is no difference in the files. Hide is set to no. All I am having to do is to edit the record, make no changes at all and then click on update.

John

Go to Top of Page

wft
VP-CART New User

66 Posts

Posted - January 24 2005 :  06:12:10  Show Profile  Visit wft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mrprez

this is odd. i set up the site same way as you did. i have no problems.

my buddy states that he had this problem long time ago. what he did empty productcategories table then using utility to create data.

Another words, he did not add any data using MS EM for productcategories at all. so you start with no rows in productcategories , the utility will use data from products & categories tables to populate data for you.

hopefully, you find a solution soon. updating 2700 items manually is not anybody route.

jim
www.website-flash-templates.com

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - January 24 2005 :  06:15:58  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my guess would be that it's not prodcategories that's the problem, but a product-level field not being populated or being populated incorrectly (ccategory, hide, userid etc)

the best way to check this is to view the raw data of a record that works and a record that doesn't so that you can see the real data that's in there and compare them (as opposed to comparing the poplist-descriptions that vpasp will show in the product screen, which might not reflect incorrect values as you'd expect)

To view the raw data of a product record in vpasp (ie to force it to bypass the normal product-edit screen), use:
shopa_editrecord.asp?which=xxxx&idfield=catalogid&table=products

(where xxxx is the catalogid of your product)

**VERY IMPORTANT NOTE!!*** -
Do not use this url for changing any values; only ever use it to view raw data as it'll bypass all validation/cross-population/poplist-codes etc.

Possible columns that might be causing it to not show up are:
cstock, ccategory, hide, userid, supplierid

Once you spot the difference, you'll then be able to change your datafile or import process to cater for the missing/incorrect value.

On a related issue, you might find this useful:
VP-ASP (V4.5/V5/V5.5) Category/ProdCategory Fixing Utility:
http://bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=74

This addon goes through all your products, categories, prodcategories data and shows you all the errors in your data which you can then press a button to automatically fix. We use this all the time. Often it allows you to get away with not having to butcher your import process/file and instead just pressing the "fix" button after you've done an upload. You'd be amazed at how messy the data ends up being after a few imports etc; this'll show you all your offending/missing records and then let you automatically fix them. I can't stress too much how useful this is when it comes to prodcategories/categories/products maintenance! It saves days of manual changes/checks/fixes at the press of a button. We built it originally just as a development tool for when we build new vpasp sites, but it was so useful that we ended up leaving it in there and selling it as an addon to other people who wanted it. You basically go through each of the 6 screens in turn and pressing the fix button on each one as you go. Fixing on screen 1 might automatically get rid of all the errors on screen 2 etc, because some of the errors are related. The 6 checks we've put in these screens are the ones which should catch all your errors (incorrect/spurious records and missing records). It won't correct your hide/userid/cstock values, but it will catch all your category-related problems.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on January 24 2005 06:46:38

Edited by - devshb on January 24 2005 06:47:52
Go to Top of Page

mrprez
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - January 24 2005 :  08:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I may have found the problem. I have a disconnect between my category and subcategory.

The site I am working on is a scrapbooking store. Many of the items belong to multiple categories and subcategories. I think that the file I am uploading has the wrong subcategory codes. I will test this today and see.

As far as the prodcategory file goes. Once I upload my corrected products file I would like to be able to upload a file to prodcategory that has the other category/subcategory codes. Otherwise, I will have to manually add them to each item which would take a month of Sundays.

devshb--I will take a look at your program. I can get that and bill it to the client!

One other question. When setting up the category/subcategory codes which subcategory do I use? Some of them have as many as four levels? Do I use the final subcat or the one directly under the main category?

John

Edited by - mrprez on January 24 2005 08:28:37

Edited by - mrprez on January 24 2005 08:34:40
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - January 24 2005 :  09:32:33  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong, but I think that...

products.ccategory needs to be the top-level category.

convertproducts.asp will allow you to create multiple prodcategories records by using the subcatfield value to hold the list of categories you want the product to be in (up the branch, or across different branches)

step4 of the fix addon will automatically create any missing parent prodcategories records if they're missing going up the branches.

so, I think you'd be able to use combinations; you could use convertproducts to get your main data in there across the different branches, and then you could use the fixing tool to create missing data going up the branch.

I guess the kind of thing you go for would depend on how customised you'd want the import process to be or if it's purely a one-off for initial setup.

If it were me, I'd add one of the "other" product columns in the main datafile to hold all the bottom-level categories, use the top-level category for the ccategory field in the datafile, do the import, then do convertproducts, then do the addon fix's step4 to fill in any gaps, and that'd basically negate the need for populating the subcategory (which I think will be ignored anyway if you're not using simplemode)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

mrprez
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - January 24 2005 :  11:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. I went back and recreated my cat/subcats. They were totally hosed. I deleted all of the entries in prodcategories. Uploaded 500 items. Nothing shows up.

I went in and looked at the raw data using the shopa_editrecord.asp. What that shows me is that when I go in and do a simple update on an item (the item now shows) the subcategoryid is set to '0' where on the non-displaying items the subcat value is there.

So, following that, after I ran convertproducts.asp I ran a query and set all of the subcategoryid to '0'. Still no go. I still have to go in and update the record.

I must be missing something.

prodcategories is right. The entries are there are they should be. All of the required fields are filled in. The only difference is that the subcategoryid changes from a value to '0'.

John

Go to Top of Page

epseja
VP-CART New User

USA
61 Posts

Posted - September 22 2005 :  12:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was having the EXACT same problem, but I figured it out... Turns out that my ever-present search box was missing its </form> tag. I put it in and the problem was solved.

I would take a look at your search box code (or any <form> code) for a missing close tag.

-Eric

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00