Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Electronic Gateways
 FAQ/Overview for Gateways?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bpayne
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - January 10 2005 :  21:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there an FAQ or high-level overview for VP-ASP used with gateways? I'm having some trouble communicating with my web designer. It is probably because I don't know enough.

Our site is set up so that when the user checks out and is ready to pay by card, we send him to https://authorize.net. Our designer says it has to be that way until we buy a SSL.

I have a shared SSL with our web hosting company and I wanted the user to never know that they've left our site. They just enter the credit card info on our site via https and we submit it to authorize.net behind the scenes.

A) what am I missing and B) where can I learn more at a high level? Is there anyone who can give my designer some help?

Thanks

Bob

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - January 11 2005 :  03:48:22  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I personally haven't found a high-level overview for this kind of thing, but here's my views, which other people will probably be happy to add to to help fill in the gaps.....

There are 2 main types of "gateways":
1) Enter details remotely
After the customer has entered their name/address/order on your site, they press the [make payment] button and then get sent to the gateway site (eg paypal, protx, worldpay etc) to enter their card details. As a merchant, you never see/know their card details, all you get as a merchant is the status of whether the transaction succeeded or not and how stringent the checks were, and how much the amount was for etc. When the customer finishes their payment they'll then get sent back to your site (to "shopthanks.asp") and the status of the transaction that the gateway has given you will be flagged on the order, so you can tell if it's been succesful or not and they'll get redirected appropriately (ie to "payment failed" or "success; here's your order-slip" pages)
On some gateways you can customise the payment page on the gateway (eg adding your logo/text etc) - protx is good for this as they allow extensive customisation.

2) Enter Details Locally
Your customers enter their card details directly on your site and you then pass them across with SSL to the gateway and retrieve the status dynamically without visibly diverting them.

Here are some personal views (and they are just personal views; they're open to debate!) -

If you're a well known big business then most people will expect you to capture/process their card details on your own site and people will accept/prefer that, in which case option (2) would be used.

If you're not a well known business then most people will expect you to NOT capture/process their card details on your site, and they will generally prefer/trust a diversion to a well-known gateway as gateways are known to have good protection/security, in which case option (1) would be used.

You'd need to put your customer hat on, and consider 2 points:
1) Do I trust this site to have implemented SSL properly across all pages that hold/show card details so that it's truly secure? Do I trust that their database is secure ? Is their internal admin secure ?
2) Do I trust this company with my card details, or would I prefer to give my card details to a 3rd-party gateway instead just to be sure ?

Whenever I order stuff online from smallish businesses, I always breath a sigh of relief when I get sent to a gateway that I know/trust rather than entering my details on their site, and I think a lot of customers will also feel like that (especially people who order online a lot)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on January 11 2005 03:56:47
Go to Top of Page

OceanArtwork
Starting Member

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - January 11 2005 :  20:06:35  Show Profile  Visit OceanArtwork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
as usual Simon you are spot on
I check the forum every day for new posts and yours are always informative and the add ons for VPASP you offer on your site look great I will be looking at purchasing some of them soon
thanks for taking the time
Dan

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00