Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Revamping shopdisplayproducts & productfeatures
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

epseja
VP-CART New User

USA
61 Posts

Posted - December 01 2004 :  21:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello! I'm brand new to VP ASP, but not to Web Design. I'm a fair programmer (I can pick apart code and figure out how it works for the most part), but am having problems figuring out the mechanics behind certain aspects of VP ASP. Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

Firstly, I want to take the standard layout of shopdisplayproducts.asp and have it display only three columns in each row, all contents being clickable to the appropriate details page where all of the ordering can be done:

Item Name with Price | Item Thumbnail | Graphical DETAILS Button

Secondly, I want to take the productfeatures pulldown menus that display on the details page and have them display side by side instead of on top of one another.

I have looked high and low for a place to customize these (including within these forums), and have tried a few things to no avail.

Any help would be most appreciated!

uncle dewey
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - December 02 2004 :  10:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm relatively new to VPASP (3 months of hacking it) as well. So telling you exactly how to do something like this is one, way too much typing and two I'd probably leave something out. Besides I like teaching people how to fish.

That said, the best thing that you can do is write a search program that looks in each page and gives you the line number of where a call to a procedure is located and the procedure itself. Also understand that VPASP uses collections (arrays) a lot. If you don't have a grasp on that you're in a mess.

Basically, most (not all) of the formatting code is in shop$colors.asp, but that's not much help. The primary page that I begin looking manually for procedures is shop$db.asp. In there you'll see 13 included files w/2165 lines of code/comments. Each one of those files also have include files, which in turn have include files and so on. VPASP did a good job of making it a pain to find and edit the code. And if you still can't find where a var is set, then check the languages and configuration tables. A lot of gold in those two tables. Even though VPASP did this, it still is a very solid shopping cart system. You're just going to have to spend a lot of time under the hood to get exactly what you want.

Don't forget to experiment with using template files. The catch here is that you have to find the configuration setting to set it up. Another tip is to do a query on the languages and configuration tables and print those out for reference. You're going to need them.

The last option, one I'm not going to take, is to purchase custom templates that someone else has done. You can find links to companies/individuals that are doing this in these forums.

Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

epseja
VP-CART New User

USA
61 Posts

Posted - December 02 2004 :  20:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aha! I set it so that the search/category display page was using the tmp_productthumbnail.htm page to format the results, but it wouldn't work no matter what I did! Later on in the day, I called my hosting company to report that the server was down (which it was). Upon rebooting the server, VP-ASP finally started recognizing that it needed to use the tmp_productthumbnail.htm page, so I simply hammered away there until it looked the way I wanted it.

Now, is there a quick way to let the server know to update config changes without having to reboot the server? I normally RTFM before I ask questions, but there is a whirlwind of documentation in my brain and a quick answer from someone who knows would be most appreciated.

P.S. I stil haven't figured out how to get the productfeatures to display horizontally... but I'm still looking.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00