Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 shopping cart empty?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webpro
Starting Member

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - October 28 2004 :  07:34:15  Show Profile  Visit webpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi - I've had this problem recently on several of my sites, you select items, add them to your order, and when you proceed to checkout you get a message saying shoopping cart is empty?

Then, when you order something else it starts to work OK, but the first items selected are lost...

Any ideas?

ALSO admin keeps timing out - again and again - after only a few seconds?

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - October 28 2004 :  08:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had similar problems intermittently, but I'm sorry to say I don't have a solution yet.

I add items to the cart and then when I click checkout, is says the cart is empty. If I return to the cart, the items are there. Then after several clicks elsewhere, returning to the cart shows that it is indeed empty. Adding new products and checking out suddently works. It can be very frustrating for me and my customers. I've wondered if it might be something on my hosting company's server reseting all the session variables? I haven't run my own server yet so I don't know what might cause this.

Does anyone know a way to track or view session variables to see what is going on? I think if we could see what is happening with the variables, we might be able to start debug. It would be very nice to have a complete log of all session variables set/cleared over the past day.

I have also noticed that if I am logged in as an administrator in one browser window, and have another browser open for testing the site as a normal user that disturbing behaviors can happen. When I start to check out as the normal user, the cart sometimes jumps into the admin area and displays all orders for all customers. This is disturbing because customers should never see this....but I have attributed it so far to my being also logged in as administrator in a different browser.

One thing I did previously was to increase xsessiontimeout significantly. Doing this is contrary to the guidelines, but the short timeout leads to many lost carts.

Go to Top of Page

Cam
VP-CART Super User

Australia
361 Posts

Posted - October 29 2004 :  02:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Cam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I add items to the cart and then when I click checkout, is says the cart is empty. If I return to the cart, the items are there. Then after several clicks elsewhere, returning to the cart shows that it is indeed empty.

Do you have just one url for your site? It sounds like you are being taken to a different url even if it is the same site possibly.

quote:

I have also noticed that if I am logged in as an administrator in one browser window, and have another browser open for testing the site as a normal user that disturbing behaviors can happen. When I start to check out as the normal user, the cart sometimes jumps into the admin area and displays all orders for all customers. This is disturbing because customers should never see this....but I have attributed it so far to my being also logged in as administrator in a different browser.

The customer wont see this. It is because you are logged in as an administrator this occurs. The admin login over rides the cart login.

Thanks,
Cam

Cam Flanigan
YourVirtualStore Sales
e-mail:
http://www.vpasp.com/sales/shopcustcontact.asp
web: http://www.yourvirtualstore.net

Build you own YourVirtualStore!!!
www.yourvirtualstore.net
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 30 2004 :  11:12:40  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it sounds like it's most likely to be a hosting issue rather than a vpasp issue, as we've also come across this with some hosts. If you're on a shared server and another site is taking all the resources then it's probable that all the sessions are getting cleared across the server on a regular/frequent basis, which is therefore effecting your site even though it might not be your site that's using all the resources. My advice would be to see if you can find a host that'll allow you to use them on a trial-basis for testing, and if the same problem doesn't happen with that new host then you can jump across.

(it's a similar situation with access databases; some hosts simply don't setup things properly and they make your database freeze/lock even when there's nothing wrong with the code)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)