Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Editing Other Tables [won''t save]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maduko
VP-CART New User

52 Posts

Posted - September 22 2004 :  13:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use an additional table in our shopping cart Access DB that validates customer logins. That all works swell.

My trouble is making changes to that table. We pull up a record using the Edit Other Tables feature and make our updates. But when we save the record some of the fields revert to blank. Not all, just certain ones.

These are plain and simple text fields. So far as I know they do not have any special input masks or formatting.

Is there any reason a field would not be editable through the VP-ASP system?

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - September 22 2004 :  20:10:17  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If any of the fields happen to be "memo" data type in the database, those should be updated last. If they're not, you often get problems like the on you're describing. You'll run into a problem with the built-in "Edit Other Tables" function in VP-ASP when trying to edit tables if your memo fields are not the last ones in the table since it updates in the same order the fields appear in the database. For example, if you have field types like this: Text, Text, Memo, Text; where the memo field is not last, you may have problems.

The solution (if this is actually the source of the problem)? If you want to use the built-in tool to edit the table in VP-ASP, move the memo fields to the "end of the table", or after all the other fields in the database.

I may be off base but without knowing more of the specific details this seems like a logical explanation for the problems.

I hope that helps!

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: