Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 applying tax only if shipping to state
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rgoetz
Starting Member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - August 10 2004 :  10:18:09  Show Profile  Visit rgoetz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Currently, the tax is being calculated on orders placed by someone with an address in KY. However, if the customer resides in KY but sends it to Michigan, then tax should not be computed. Please tell me how I can ensure that tax is based on the shipping address.

Rhonda Goetz, CIW-CI
http://esitecreations.com

kkemper
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - August 11 2004 :  19:12:26  Show Profile  Visit kkemper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it is like our state (PA). and some others. As long as the customer resides in the same state as the company they are ordering from, no matter where it is shipped to, they still owe the sales tax.

Go to Top of Page

taylorphoto
VP-CART New User

USA
53 Posts

Posted - August 28 2004 :  10:35:04  Show Profile  Visit taylorphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
kkemper is correct. if i buy a shirt in my state as a gift to ship to someone anywhere else in the world it still gets taxed. if i call the same store from out of state and order it from out of state and have it shipped out of state it DOESN'T get taxed. it is ONLY becuase i am CURRENTLY in the same state that creates the taxation requirement.

Side note: I think governments will eventually change taxation rules to tax all sales according to EITHER; A) where the stores main company resides, or B) where the customer resides.

Go to Top of Page

kkemper
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - August 29 2004 :  17:57:13  Show Profile  Visit kkemper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just so you know, if the store you are ordering from, say Best Buy in DE(they have no sales tax), If that company has a store in the state you live in, say PA. Then technically, by law they are to charge you sales tax of the state you are in, whether it is being shipped to you in PA or a friend in Alaska.
This is the reason states are trying to get legislation passed to have an internet tax on sales. Because of all the items that are purchased from over the internet and out of state, they have calculated millions in sales taxes that states are loosing out on.
I hope they never get the opportunity to do so because it will only put a huge hurting on internet business and make it more confusing for us.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00