Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Multiple subcategories in a category
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rgoetz
Starting Member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - July 24 2004 :  22:07:02  Show Profile  Visit rgoetz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How can I specify more than one subcategory in a category? Not what I want to do, but the client wants all the subs showing up allover the place.

Thanks for your help!

Rhonda Goetz, CIW-CI
http://esitecreations.com

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - July 25 2004 :  12:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you are asking two different questions:

1) How to have multiple subcategories in a category:
This one is easy. Its just the basic normal operation of categories/sub-categories. Every sub-category points to a next higher category, and you can have as many sub-categories point to the same higher category as you like. This is set up for each subcategory using the shopa_addcategory.asp shop administration page. On this page, make the "Higher Subcategory" for each of the new sub-categories point to the same category.

2) How to have a sub-category show up under multiple higher categories?
This would be very useful to me also, but I unfortunately don't know how to do it. Its easy to have a product show up under multiple categories. That's done by holding down control while clicking multiple "Subcategories" on the shopa_addproduct.asp admin page. However, the same does NOT work for shopa_addcategory.asp. Here's a couple of possibilities:
a) This would make a good feature addition to VP-ASP, so we can bring it up with support.
b) It may be possible to do this by editing the database directly using Microsoft Access (assuming you're using an Access database). It would take some study and testing to make sure its possible and that you didn't break anything in the process.

It would be great if some of the more experienced forum members would share their ideas in this area.

Edited by - greatphoto on July 25 2004 17:12:29
Go to Top of Page

rgoetz
Starting Member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - July 25 2004 :  12:40:39  Show Profile  Visit rgoetz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I suppose that is two questions. It is the second one that I need. It would be nice if someone could come up with a way for this to happen. Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. This is my first experience using VPASP and I am challenged. Rhonda

Rhonda Goetz, CIW-CI
http://esitecreations.com

Just an update: Support said it cannot be done. The software is not designed that way.

Edited by - rgoetz on July 26 2004 08:01:34
Go to Top of Page

Dulrr
VP-CART New User

57 Posts

Posted - July 27 2004 :  11:25:17  Show Profile  Visit Dulrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We wanted something similar with some of our products, so we simulated it by creating two categories with the same or similar names, assigned them each to different supercategories and added all the appropriate products to both categories. Of course, having a subcategory appearing in more than one or two places would make product entry a little messy...

~D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00