Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Go to page and Price Sort when displaying products
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bmw000
VP-CART New User

137 Posts

Posted - May 06 2004 :  19:45:33  Show Profile  Visit bmw000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How can I have the cart allow me to have both the next and prevous buttons and also have a link to each specific page. This way the customer has a choice of going forward or backward one page at a time or go directly to a specific page?

Also, how can I have the cart add a feature to allow the customer to sort the product lising by price (ascending to descending)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian Weber

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 06 2004 :  21:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second your feature request in your first paragraph. This would be nice to offer to customers and is seen on many other sites. I'm pretty sure there is no config for this, so it would require a mod of the ASP/VBScript code itself. Its probably a fairly simple mod once you find the right spot in the code. You can search for "xproductpagingnextprevious" in all the asp files to find the right spot.

Meanwhile, it might be a nice request for the "Feature suggestions for future releases" topic found at this link:
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=12

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 06 2004 :  21:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I searched this one out for you and its not as simple as I hoped. The two different display types are provided by the PageNavBarNext and PageNavBar subroutines in shop$db.asp. They are selected around line 185 in shopdisplayproducts.asp. Perhaps you can study these two routines and figure out how to merge them. It still may not be a huge job, but is more that I have time for right now.

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - May 06 2004 :  22:54:49  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bmw000, in answer to the first part of your first question -- how to display both the next/prev as well as links to each page -- there's an easy way to do it. Its kind of a hack but it's easy and will do exactly what you need. Here's the rub:

Edit shopdisplayproducts.asp, around line 185 as greatphoto mentioned, and look for this:

if getconfig("xproductpagingnextprevious")="Yes" then
PageNavBarNext SQL
else
PageNavBar SQL
end if

Just comment out the If/Else logic to show one or the other so that it always shows both:

'if getconfig("xproductpagingnextprevious")="Yes" then
PageNavBarNext SQL
'else
PageNavBar SQL
'end if

That's it. Now they will both show up. All that does is circumvents the config setting that specifies whether to show the Next/Prev or numbered links and makes it show both regardless. Also, I suggested just commenting those lines out in case you ever wanted to go back and revert to the original way. If you did, you would just un-comment those lines and you'd be all set.

Thats the answer to your first question. Next, we did something along those lines of what you asked for you in your second question for a site we did recently and it works pretty well -- not to mention its a cool tool to have when browsing. It was not nearly as easy as the solution to your first question but we got it working. Its basically a toolbar that gives the user the following options:

-Next/Previous Pages
-Enter specific page to jump to
-Specify # of products to show on page
-Specify how to sort product

You can see it in action at: http://www.kitchenexpress.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=35&cat=Axor+Citterio

We're still actually working the bugs out of it (and the site in general since it just launched) but it sounds like this might be what you're after.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the code and instructions for how to install it, e-mail me at [email protected]. We will have to write up some documentation for it but could do that if there is an interest.

P.S. If you happen to play with that toolbar on the kitchen site and run across any bugs (which is likely as of now) we'd like to know what they are so we can be sure to squash them all. Just e-mail the error details to [email protected] if you get a chance.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

bmw000
VP-CART New User

137 Posts

Posted - May 07 2004 :  18:15:50  Show Profile  Visit bmw000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got it working. Commenting out those lines was a great solution.

Thanks.

Now I would like to be able add the sort feature.

I have the product filtering turned on. I do not want the filter selection that is currently displayed.

I would like to see it say "Sort By Price: Ascending or Descending"

I would like to click on the words ascending and descending as hyperlinks so if I wanted to sort by price in ascending order, I just click on the ascending link.

I would like it to be displayed at the top of the page.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian Weber

Go to Top of Page

Cam
VP-CART Super User

Australia
361 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  10:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Cam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian,

Chris got you on the YourVirtualStore forum but thought to answer here as well in case you missed it.

Open shopdisplayproducts.asp and locate the ShowCategoryImage sub routine.

At the bottom of this sub just before the end sub reference insert the follwing:

%>
Sort by Price: <a href="shopfiltering.asp?sortfield=cprice&sortupdown =ASC">Ascending</a> | <a href="shopfiltering.asp?sortfield=cprice&sortupdown =DESC">Decending</a>
<br>
<%

Save and test.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Cam

Cam Flanigan
YourVirtualStore Sales
e-mail:
http://www.vpasp.com/sales/shopcustcontact.asp
web: http://www.yourvirtualstore.net

Build you own YourVirtualStore!!!
www.yourvirtualstore.net
Go to Top of Page

bmw000
VP-CART New User

137 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  16:48:28  Show Profile  Visit bmw000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help!!

There is a reply on the YourVirtualStore forum about it. I got it working but there is a small issue.

We can continue this on the YourVirtualStore forum since I posted a response to your response there.

Thanks for the help.

Brian Weber

Go to Top of Page

bmw000
VP-CART New User

137 Posts

Posted - May 12 2004 :  20:36:01  Show Profile  Visit bmw000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For anyone wanting to accomplish sorting highest to lowest and lowest to highest with just a link on the page, here is the final code I used. I have it at line 138 in shopdisplayproducts.asp. I am using version 5 of vpasp.

response.write "<a>Display products By: </a>" & "<a href='shopfiltering.asp?sortfield=cprice&sortupdown=ASC' >Lowest To Highest</a>" & "<a> Or </a>"
response.write "<a href='shopfiltering.asp?sortfield=cprice&sortupdown=DESC '>Highest To Lowest</a>" & "<br>" & "<br>"

Thanks sooo much from the folks at yourvirtualstore for all of thier help!!!

Brian Weber

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00