Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Database question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Goalie35
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - April 28 2004 :  11:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the opportunity to work with vp asp with the access database that came with the program or ms sql server.

Just out of curiosity which databse would you choose and what are the advantages of working with that database?
Thanks in advance.

-Goalie35

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 28 2004 :  12:12:52  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you can choose between the 2 (ie both options are currently hosted) then i'd go for sql-server as it'll potentially be quicker and have larger volume scope.

but you'll need a front-end to be able to access the database fully if you don't have sqlserver on your pc.

if you don't have a sqlserver front end and don't want to load a 40terrabyte file that you shouldn't really need, then try going for:
http://mylittletools.net/scripts/en/mla_sql/default.asp

microsoft don't have any downloads for the enterprise manager (the front-end) they force you to buy+install the entire package on your pc which you don't need if the sqlserver is on a website, which is why i went for the mylittletools one which seems to work well.

("front-end" here is where you can go straight into the database and change things about or view the raw data; the equivalent of the MySql control center, or the access gui front-end)

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]

Edited by - devshb on April 28 2004 12:16:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)