Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.00 Questions
 How are you handling updating from previous versio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alina
Starting Member

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - April 07 2004 :  16:37:49  Show Profile  Visit Alina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am interested on how others are handling updating from other versions. I am in the midst of it - but not sure if I'm going about it the best way. I am especially interested in how others are minimising downtime.

we are upgrading from 4.5 to 5.0
We made a new copy of our database for conversion - so the old site can remain live. We have been working it bit by bit since the new year. Once we are ready - we are thinking we will have to make a new copy of our live database - convert it - and switch the live site over to it - and then we will have to scramble to make customization updates to the database while it is live.

I'm open to any suggestions on how to do this better.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 07 2004 :  16:54:24  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you might find the following useful which is on the same topic:
http://vp-asp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2495

I guess there's 2 main aspects:
1) Conversion Process
2) Release

for the conversion process, I'd just create an extra dev directory to hold the new v5 files and then upload a copy of the live database renamed to something like shopping_dev and then run the vpasp conversion/upgrade sqls provided on the dev site. Then bolt-in+upload your customisations to the dev v5 pages.

For release, I'd just run the vpasp provided conversion sqls and then copy the newly converted files up to the live site.

There's no need for there to be anything more than about 5 minute's downtime during the release if you plan out the steps in advance and get all the files ready to go.

As far as I know (although I could be wrong), the upgrade sqls simply add in the extra/new v5 columns/data and don't touch anything else, so even if you've got customised tables it should still all upgrade as normal.

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]

Edited by - devshb on April 07 2004 17:17:34
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - April 12 2004 :  06:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alina
Do you know there is a new version being released June ?... which i would consider significantly different enough for you to wait as its cookieless/seesionless . Maybe worth holding off ?

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=14

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpasp550_planning.htm

PAUL

Go to Top of Page

jasonS1
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - September 30 2004 :  16:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking of doing a 4.5 -> 5.0 upgrade. I put all my 5.0 files in a "development" directory & ran the conversion utility. Question though, to start doing my upgrade chores, am I supposed to log in as admin to my current live shopping cart (reload config, etc.)? Shouldn't I be logging into my 5.0 directory? Sorry if this is a silly question :(

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00