Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Offering Services
 Superal NOT super
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RNN
VP-CART New User

USA
54 Posts

Posted - March 30 2004 :  14:20:42  Show Profile  Visit RNN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recommended Al to a guy looking to setup a cart he gave him $600 in advance and after numerous calls e-mails no refund NO Work done.

As of now he stole the money!

b]WARNING!!!![[/b]

Bob

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 31 2004 :  03:27:08  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd be wary of anyone who asks for all development costs up-front; if it's someone you haven't dealt with before then I'd sanction the work bit-by-bit. Personally I wouldn't ever pay more than $100 up-front (roughly one-day's worth of work).

Most reputable developers will usually agree to get paid in arrears for the first small amount of work; it's a risk for the developer but it ensures that clients don't have the worry of getting ripped off.

As a developer, I've been ripped off by clients before (thankfully not by anybody who uses this forum), so this problem happens both ways.

My personal view is that it's the developer that should shoulder this burden of risk, and not the client, but that the developer should in turn get paid by the client immediately upon request after each chunk of work has been done.

To minimise this problem, it's best to start off with very small payments/time-chunks (just an hour or 2), and gradually build up to larger payments/time-chunks as the client/developer establish a mutual decent/trusting relationship.

This problem is why word-of-mouth is one of the best ways of securing a developer that you'll know you can trust. If a developer doesn't have a history of feedback then they should be willing to do some work in arrears to compensate for that extra client risk.

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]

Edited by - devshb on March 31 2004 03:30:21
Go to Top of Page

GTM
VP-CART New User

USA
122 Posts

Posted - April 01 2004 :  05:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I do Web Design, Digital Imaging or Motion Graphics not until recently have I started using contracts with most of my clients as it covers both ends. Some people I know have operated without contracts and have had a good success rate. But, sometimes intention is not good enough. I'm sure there is a reason for not doing the work as this seems uncharacteristic of him.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Superal
VP-CART Expert

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - April 01 2004 :  07:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do not do any programming for RTN without a contract and money upfront. This guy only paid me a 1/3 of my work, we agreed on a settlement of $750 which I still have to see.
Now the guy that he recommended. Did basically 1 1/2 weeks work for him, numerous long distance calls to his ISP and then the guy bails. Wants his money back. I gave him $300 back. Told him I don't work for anybody for free.
Programmers, I will never do any work for anyone without money up front, after dealing with these two. Learnt my lesson the hard way.

Go to Top of Page

RNN
VP-CART New User

USA
54 Posts

Posted - April 01 2004 :  08:45:47  Show Profile  Visit RNN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Al said
"Now the guy that he recommended. Did basically 1 1/2 weeks work for him, numerous long distance calls to his ISP and then the guy bails. Wants his money back. I gave him $300 back. Told him I don't work for anybody for free."

He never did any work failed to call back, disappeared off the planet. When I talked to him after 5 weeks of waiting for a finished product he said I just don't have the time I'll send you back your money.

I never recieved any money back he is lying, he wouldn't get on the phone unless I said I was someone else.

By his own admision he didn't return 610 bucks.

All I want is my $610, BACK or I will contact Interpole or the police six months is long enough to get screwed over.

Hey Al pickup the phone and call me!

Phil Schafer
I using Rn account for this post but if anyone cares to verify my statement 516.797.9300

Go to Top of Page

RNN
VP-CART New User

USA
54 Posts

Posted - April 01 2004 :  08:53:29  Show Profile  Visit RNN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Do not do any programming for RTN without a contract and money upfront."
Of course you say that how else can you get money without work being done like you screwed over Phil!

You quoted a firm flat fee for the work I wanted of $1500, then without any talk that you want more money you sent me a bill for over $6,000, which was a rip off.

"This guy only paid me a 1/3 of my work, we agreed on a settlement of $750 which I still have to see."

I agreed to pay you $750 if you fixed all the outstanding errors which you never did or could.

Programmers, I will never do any work for anyone without money up front, after dealing with these two. "Learnt" my lesson the hard way.

You need criminal charges brought up against you!

PS most of the substandard work had to be redone.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Superal
VP-CART Expert

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - April 01 2004 :  17:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone works for these two guys take cash or a cheque and wait till it clears before you send them any files. Credit cards can be easily disputed and held against you as blackmail for you to send stuff then never pay you.

Bob taught me a valuable lesson. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I wasn't gonna let you nor your friends bilke me again.

Be warned.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00