Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Comersus vs VP-ASP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 22 2004 :  15:53:38  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of our competitors is Comersus. It seems to have received many good reviews on ASPIN.com.

I would appreciate your comments Comersus vs VP-ASP. Why do people like it/dislike it? What does it have that VP-ASP does not have or vice versa?

Howard Kadetz
VP-ASP

StevenWWinters
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - March 24 2004 :  05:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took a quick look. One cool feature is the built-in HTML editor for product descriptions. Would be a great addition to v5.50!

Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - March 24 2004 :  07:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We already have that!

Jill

Go to Top of Page

StevenWWinters
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - March 24 2004 :  08:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. I must have missed it. Where is it found?

Go to Top of Page

StevenWWinters
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - March 24 2004 :  13:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. Found it. Download & install the add-on from here: http://www.vpasp.com/sales/addons.asp
You also need to enable it by setting xhtmleditor=Yes.

Should be a part of the basic install, imo. Great feature.

But I guess I'll have to look at other Comersus features to see what looks good. :-)

Go to Top of Page

StevenWWinters
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - March 24 2004 :  13:35:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. Found it. Download & install the add-on from here: http://www.vpasp.com/sales/addons.asp
You also need to enable it by setting xhtmleditor=Yes.

Should be a part of the basic install, imo. Great feature.

But I guess I'll have to look at other Comersus features to see what looks good. :-)

Go to Top of Page

kkemper
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - March 24 2004 :  19:35:23  Show Profile  Visit kkemper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe that comersus has a database hyperlink generator for all products. so if you want to just add the cart to an existing site it's a little easier.

Go to Top of Page

MiniMe
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - March 24 2004 :  20:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking to buy a shopping cart last year. After shopping around the finalists were Comersus and VPASP. They both have good features but the reason I finally picked VPASP was because it doesn't force the customer to login before buying. May seem like a small thing but I don't like making customers login each time they order if they don't want to. Otherwise it was a close call. One other thing, maybe things have changed but at the time, I also don't think they had as many ways to charge shipping, the method we use wasn't available with Comersus.

My advice to the folks at VPASP would be to take a look at all the current features Comersus has in their different packages and see if VPASP has anything missing. http://comersus.com/pricing.html
One thing Comersus seems to now have is comparison shopping with Amazon.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 24 2004 :  21:34:48  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you comment on support? Comersus seems to charge $100 just to talk to a human. Am I wrong in this? We have been providing free support since day one.

We think VP-ASP has numerous unique features. For example:

Automatic extended description (shopexd.asp)
Multiple emails at end of order
Template driven emails and product displays
Reuseable Gift certificates
Integration with your existing web
Search term recording
Special Shop Searches (shopquery)
Numerous discounting methods
15 Shipping algorithms
60+ gateways
Pin Numbers
Gift Registry
Points Rewards
Recurring Billing
Bulk mailing
Affiliate system
Catalog Only
Digital delivery
Unlimited categories/subcategories and depth
Extensive admin Menus
Extensible Customer Service menus
and more ...

Howard Kadetz
VP-ASP

Go to Top of Page

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - March 27 2004 :  09:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howard - I would like to thank you so much for all your teams help in support for getting my first cart off the ground.
I do not know much about Comersus but as this thread has gone quiet I just thought I would share with you some supporting /recommending comments I placed on the OutFront forums which are heavily used by FrontPage users. The thread link is below(comments in 4th post)followed by the reply I made myself:

http://www.frontpagewebmaster.com/m-190330/mpage-1/key-//tm.htm#190889

Thanks Reflect - great find - I could not find that on the site, nor did anyone in the forum on VP-ASP I posted.

I was more thinking about the Buy button style that I made from one of their existing ones i.e . small with text on it, see below:

http://www.select-sports.co.uk

Hi Bobby Douglas, I would sing the praises of VP-ASP. It was my first full cart, I used ASP from Spookys Login and so making some amendments follow on the same lines. However most changes are available without entering the coding.
It will cover a basic cart right up to very complex ones and is great value for money. No monthly charges either as in some carts. Compatible with loads of payment gateways.
Support is fantastic, I am in the UK they are in Australia but I normally get replies within a couple of hours(my first cry for help was answered in 10 minutes) and never more than 8 hours - all free and very helpful. As it was my first cart I aksed quite a lot, they even altered some of their asp files for me more than once.
They also have a forum where members help each other - very useful.

I am on my next two carts for clients of mine and have bought the licenses with relish.

VPASP have just announced a major upgrade in June to version 5.5 which just seems even better value - free to purchasers of V5 in the last 12 months.

I recomend them with pleasure.

Regards
Phil

Regards

Phil
Go to Top of Page

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - March 29 2004 :  01:54:16  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hi Howard,

When we first started this project. The original programmers told us what a great shopping cart we had with VPASP. Now, at that time, we knew absolutely nothing about your cart, unfortunately neither did the programmers. With the long drawn out processes of never getting anything done, we thought that it was the cart and not the programmers. We started shopping around for another cart. (I am glad we did not get one) but I will list some pros and cons of the shopping carts since you asked.

Comersus (Free Version)
Pros
This cart was extremely easy to set up on a local machine
Everything that I read was in a user friendly format
It was extremely user friendly to configure
You did not have to speak techanese in order to understand their documentation

Cons
All of the files were encrypted and I could not modify the code to suit my needs. (Probably due to the free version)
It did require people to log in and we too did not like this.
Support for the cart is either non existant or you have to spend your entire wallet book to ask a question.
You have to be a programmer in order to change their cart.

VPASP
Pros
#1 - Tech Support... Bravo.. this alone is worth going through the (and yes there are) troubles of setting up the cart.
Extremely configurable
Updates come out more with this cart than any other cart I have seen
Your developers manual is awesome.
All of your documentation is second to none.
These forums are the best thing since sliced bread.
The administrative interface is decent. This is a pro and a con. see below.

Cons
Nothing in the cart is non-programmer friendly.
The help section is in techanese. I understand why, however it could be worded a lot better.
The documentation for the cart looks as if a programmer wrote it. It should look like someone that doesn't know techanese wrote it.
The setup is a very difficult one. I still have a problem on my local computer that will not allow me to run the cart in IE. I can run it in Opera or in Netscape and the same exact cart runs on the server? Ending result after weeks of troubleshooting and posting in the forum: I finally gave up. I check the website after I load to the server which is not a good thing.
The administrative interface is decent. This is a pro and a con.
It can be confusing if you are a beginner. Again, I know why it is set up this way however it is set up as if a programmer set it up.

The other cart that you will want to look at is Cube Cart. They have an awesome Interface. You can download their free version and check it out for ideas.....

Hope it helps.

Wayne
www.WorldFamousGiftBaskets.net

Edited by - ProductivePC on March 29 2004 01:55:52
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 29 2004 :  02:25:12  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am actually suprised to here how hard it is to set-up. VP-ASP uses the exact same "connection string" that every other ASP program needs to connect to a database. This is a Microsoft requirement

We have put that into one file called shop$config.asp. Not hunting into other files.

So if any other ASP program can read/write to a database, the VP-ASP can. If not I would love to see their "connection string".

Howard Kadetz
VP-ASP

Go to Top of Page

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - March 29 2004 :  12:28:06  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Howard,

Don't get my statement wrong. For an ASP programmer and for someone that knows what they are doing. I am sure the setup is very easy. However; as in my case where I did not build the original pages and I had never set up a server before it was a very difficult thing. Installing IIS and MDAC was alright but trying to find out what was wrong on the error I kept getting was a nightmare. I still don't know what is causing it.

Now with Comersus, I didn't have to do anything. I dropped the files and ran the cart.

With Cubecart, I had to install a 3D enhancer program to view the images and ran the cart. No problems and did not need any experience with PHP or ASP on the above two.

I absolutely adore the VPASP shopping cart now that I have a semi-good grasp on the asp pages and the templates. You have done a phenomenal job however; the beginning was tough... lots of hours studying (which I don't mind by the way but we had just parted with the original programmers and our other main programmer just quit on us later on that day. This left me with no knowledge of the cart whatsoever) Luckily, I learn at an extremely rapid rate. Not everyone is like that though.

Hope it helps.

Wayne
www.WorldFamousGiftBaskets.net
Go to Top of Page

MiniMe
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - March 29 2004 :  13:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Howard. As far as support I don't think it is possible to beat VPASP. A relative of mine elected to buy the Comersus cart. I asked him how support was and he said they "seemed pretty reliable". To get support with Comersus, it seems like you have to use their forum unless you want to pay big $. I think this is a big disadvantage of buying Comersus because instead of getting a reply within a couple of hours or minutes like with VPASP, you need to wait a while, maybe a day or more with Comersus. This can really slow things down.
Go to Top of Page

AstroBoy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - March 30 2004 :  00:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howard, I purchased VP.ASP last week. Today I have a **totally** customised solution for my client, which after a few inital hiccups, is about to go gold.
There is only one way this was possible, and that is through customer support. Howard, you sent a response to my two queries within a couple of hours early last week. Although I know you wont want to make that sort of support public knowledge - "everyone will want it!" - you could at least use it better as a selling point. That was why Comersus didn't really appeal as an option to me.
Customer support, for software like this, is extremely important.

By the way, thank you very much for your quick replies!

Go to Top of Page

calliope
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - March 30 2004 :  14:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Howard-
I will agree with the posters about VPASP being a better product and a better deal. My suggestion is simply to improve the look of your site and the basic store included in the demos and product itself. My first impression when playing with the VPASP demo was that it did not look professional; however, a programmer quickly pointed out that all that could be changed. Just my two cents.

Stan
www.calliopeboutique.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00