Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Searching reliably for text strings in all files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 29 2004 :  07:09:39  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's something that I hope microsoft users will find useful, and should stop many hours of banging your head against a brick wall....

Loads of people need/want to look for specific text strings in their vp-asp code/pages (especially for language/config variables) so that they can see where/how they're used etc, and make sure they catch all instances when they make a change.

(an example of this; there was a recent posting about where the imageurl variables are used because the user wanted to add an extra directory to the front of the string)

So, say you want to find all files in vp-asp which have the string "cimageurl" in them....

If you've got a microsoft-based pc, then the find-files/text search is totally broken (in xp it doesn't work at all; it hardly ever hits any of the files it should do, even when you specify/include "asp" in your config settings etc; it simply doesn't bother looking at the files but also doesn't produce any errors; very very dangerous, and typically microsoft).

So, if you are using microsoft as your operating system, and want to search for which files have certain text strings in them, you need to install a totally non-microsoft-authored 3rd party piece of software which actually works.

And here's a free one which I've been using that works REALLY well; not only does it show you the files with the strings in them, but it also gives you the text of the line that uses the string:

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download.aspx

My hat goes off to these people; they've done a fantastic job.

The text search facility/software from this link is called "Agent Ransack", and, personally, it's one of the handful of links in my top-level [start] menu because it's *such* a useful function; it's very rare that I don't have it running as I pretty much use it constantly; anyone who downloads/uses it will probably end up doing the same (adding it to the top level of their start menu so they can use it quickly/easily).

Edited by - devshb on March 01 2004 02:46:52
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00