Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.00 Questions
 Product Import
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mpimiller
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - February 18 2004 :  16:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had a problem with importing products and encountered a situation list this:
After doing a product import (either using product import via VP-ASP or SQL server), when you go to the products list in admin and bring up a product, there is no category selected even though the field category in the products table is populated. After selecting a category and doing a save, it works fine of course, but I don't want to have to go to every product and do this.

Also of note: the products will display under the right subcategories and such. And I'm using SQL Server 2000 for the database.

Thanks in Advance!
Mark

mpimiller
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - February 18 2004 :  16:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
correction: I should have said ccategory NOT category field.

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 18 2004 :  17:40:44  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I believe the source of your problem is the 'prodcategories' table, which is essntially an index of product to category relationships. It only has three columns (id,intcategoryid,intcatalogid) and each product in the system has a record in that table. The product will show up in the admin panel just fine, as you mentioned, because the product is indeed there but the related record in the other table is not, and thats why you don't see a selected category. The reason for the other table is so that any given item can belong to more than one category. In order to do that, you need more than one record.

So, when you import the records, you'll also need to import that 'index' of product to category relationships into the other table.

Does that make sense?

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - February 18 2004 :  22:15:15  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there..
Jon is right... If you have lot of products then the best bet is to write a small sql script to create view of prodcategories. You have to delete the table before you create the view, prodcategories, and write a view like

CREATE VIEW prodcategories AS
select catalogid AS id,
ccategory AS intcategoryid,
catalogid AS intcatalogid
from products
This would solve the problem and even you dont have to worry about anything.
Sometimes, in product table, you will have to update the hide field otherwise it might hide your product from being displayed.
if that the case, use
Update products set hide=0
If you have any problem, mail me at [email protected]
GOOD LUCK.
SJ.

[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

mpimiller
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - February 19 2004 :  10:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, you were both right! I was expecting categoryID to be stored in a different place than the subcategoryID.

Thanks a bunch!
Mark

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00