New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justin123
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - February 18 2004 :  08:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All
How do I export orders to a comma dilimated file? or any external file for that matter that I can use.

I have read that you can export your files for use in other accounting programs, but I have yet to find out how to get to this export feature

Please help
thanks

GTM
VP-ASP New User

USA
122 Posts

Posted - February 18 2004 :  14:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An example would be a datafeed to list your products on a shopping network in any case you would need to import the data into excel then format it in excel. Open excel in the toolbar go to Data > Import External Data > Import Data find the table in your database you want to import once it is imported you can alter it with macros and formulas.

ex. products table

Then save as CSV (comma dilimated)

Greg

Go to Top of Page

justin123
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - February 19 2004 :  07:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg
And thanks for the help
So VPASP does not have this function built in as part of its package.
I was under the impression it was a feature in vpasp.

Justin

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-ASP New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 19 2004 :  10:15:27  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Justin,

The feature is built in to VP-ASP. You can export from any of the tables in the database via the admin panel. Using products as the example, when you are on the products list page (/shopa_editdisplay.asp?table=products), you should see 4 links running across the mid-top of the page. They are: Mail Setup, Select Table, Export Setup, Delete Setup. Choose 'Export Setup' then follow these steps:

- Specify the information requested:
File Name: What you want the exported file name to be
Directory: Which directory (on the server) to save the file in (make sure it has write permision or else the export will fail)
Delimeter: character between each item in exported list

- Click continue

- Now, either select the records you want to export (checkboxes on right side of each row) and click 'Export selected records' or just click 'Export All Records' to export them all (no need to select any for that option).

If the directory has the correct permissions, the file will be created and the export will be completed. You can now go retrieve you file from the server. Thats is. Easy as that.

Also, those other three links across the top function in much the same manner to do pretty much what they indicate.

Does that all make sense?

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

srwilli
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - March 03 2004 :  17:39:49  Show Profile  Visit srwilli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have built my database on my local machine, and want to export the data so that I can import on my server. I understand the export setup, however how in the heck can you determine if VPASP has write permission on XP?? I have tried every directory I can imagine including c:\ and c:/. All that happens is the browser hangs when I attempt to export 1 or all records....

The one complaint I have with VPASP is it's less than useful (or in this case NO) documentation.... I have spent three weeks just getting this cart setup, and I'm no dummy.....

Everything is trial and error... If you have time you learn... I don't have time to keep doing things over and over to get them to work..

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4266 Posts

Posted - March 03 2004 :  18:13:17  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a known problem with Norton Anti Virus installed and trying to read/write files. I believe you may have run into this situation (that is our guess)

Norton AntIvirus will cause reading files to "hang" your
system. That is the symptom you are having.

Please see this Microsoft Knowledgebase Article

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295375

VP-ASP Support

Our support staff is available 7 days a week.

Edited by - support on March 03 2004 22:35:54
Go to Top of Page

srwilli
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - March 04 2004 :  05:47:59  Show Profile  Visit srwilli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank You for the information on Norton. That solved one problem. May I suggest that this information be put in the problem data-base.

While I am on the problem data-base, each and every time I search I get no records found... Am I searching this a data-base for all problems or just mine?

Now,
I still can't export.. Again, no matter what directory I get the error

Exporting to:
Unable to open file. It is probably in a read-only directory
Invalid procedure call or argument
Number of Records written=0

This occurs even in the directory where the database resides... It occurs in directories that are shared, that are available to the host service... I used "\" and "/" in the directory path.. I added a slash to the end of the path, I deleted the slash at the end of the path. ???????
SRW

Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-ASP New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - March 04 2004 :  10:54:22  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Refer this post in the forum to setup the directory permision.
http://vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2416
GOOD LUCK.
SJ.

[email protected]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000