Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 Search Engine Directory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

patrickong
VP-CART New User

Singapore
58 Posts

Posted - January 30 2004 :  20:22:44  Show Profile  Visit patrickong's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We could put a search product page in addition to the one-line search field in VP-ASP. The search page could resemble the following (the spacing is truncated below, it should have two columns and a few rows just like in Yahoo - www.yahoo.com):

Products Directory - organized by categories

Business & Economy Computers & Internet
B2B, Finance, Shopping, Jobs... Internet, WWW, Software, Games...

News & Media Entertainment
Newspapers, TV, Radio... Movies, Humor, Music...

Recreation & Sports Health
Sports, Travel, Autos, Outdoors.. Diseases, Drugs, Fitness...

Society & Culture Education
People, Environment, Religion... College and University, K-12...

Arts & Humanities Science
Photography, History, Literature. Animals, Astronomy, Engineering...

Social Science Reference
Languages, Archaeology, ... Phone Numbers, Dictionaries...

Now the search feature not only looks more clear, it gives people an idea of what specific subcategories of products that they can find at a quick glance because the standard category menu on the left of VP-ASP is too general.

Patrick Ong
www.consultancy.com.sg

Edited by - patrickong on January 30 2004 20:25:53

patrickong
VP-CART New User

Singapore
58 Posts

Posted - January 31 2004 :  23:49:05  Show Profile  Visit patrickong's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Ok, I think I've found what I wanted to show:

http://froogle.google.com/

The above is what I have in mind and that's already currently being developed by Google. I feel it's not too difficult to be done by VP-ASP team to match up to a potentially viable catalog-only shopping cart market.

Patrick Ong

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 02 2004 :  15:54:25  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you're thinking about using google's froogle, and you also use vp-asp, then you might find this Froogle Feed File Creator add-on very useful (after you buy it, you just tweak your FFFC config options, upload the files, add the new menu-item item, and hey-presto; instant froogle-feed files at the touch of a button with lots of options)....

also, if you like this, you might also like the packing-slip/invoice add-on too:
http://www.samburu.com/shopexd.asp?id=1663

Our Froogle Feed File Creator (FFFC) for VP-ASP sites has now had various enhancements added to it, which will hopefully make it even more useful and easy to use for vp-asp users.

You can view more details about it, and/or purchase it through:

http://www.samburu.com/shopexd.asp?id=1748

The enhancements that have now been applied are:

1. Now available for vp-asp v4.5
--------------------------------
The FFFC was previously only available for vp-asp v5 sites, but it now comes with 2 sets of files included; one set for v5, and another set for v4.5. This means that if you're on v4.5 then it'll work, and when you go onto vp-asp v5 you can simply upload the v5 FFFC files without having to ask us for a separate/new version.

2. Full Pathnames for Image Files
---------------------------------
Some retailers use full pathnames for their image files (for example, if distributing the product images across different sites/areas). The FFFC has been changed to allow for this as you can now leave the image-directory config options blank and it'll use the image-file-name as the full path instead of putting your site's url at the front of the path.

3. InStock field
----------------
The additional froogle field for "Instock" (Y/N) has now been added to the feed, and you can change your configuration to default this to Yes-only, Yes-And-No, or Don't-Print-Instock-Field; see the config files for more info.

4. UPC Field
------------
The additional froogle field for "UPC" (Universal Product Code) has now been added to the feed, and you can change your configuration to use whichever of your product columns you are using to store your UPC. Like the InStock field, this is optional and if you leave your UPC config setting blank then the UPC won't be shown on the feed file.

If you find that you need to customise the FFFC programmatically (ie not just changing the config options, but changing the actual programs), then please let us know as we may apply such customisations to our generic FFFC for you and then give you a free update, as per the above 4 new options that have all been added by us thanks to feedback that we've received from customers.

A big thanks to all of our customers who have given us feedback so that we could improve the FFFC for the whole vp-asp community - such feedback is always welcome and is always seriously considered/applied, as you can see by this new update.

If you have any problems, questions, or feedback regarding the FFFC, please feel free to email us at: [email protected]

Many thanks.

Simon Barnaby
Technical Support
Big Yellow Box Limited

Edited by - devshb on March 02 2004 15:58:46
Go to Top of Page

candude
VP-CART New User

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - April 06 2004 :  07:53:11  Show Profile  Visit candude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a froogle script I wrote.. Just upload it to ya site, run, save it as a txt file and feed it to Froogle.. Enjoy..

SCRIPT IS AS IS...
---------------
<html><body><pre>
product_url name description price image_url category
<%
strconn = "DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=c:\YOURDBLOCATIONHERE\shopping450.mdb"
Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
objConn.open strconn
Set oRs = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.RecordSet")
Set oRs2 = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.RecordSet")
oRs.open "select catalogid, cname, cdescription, cprice, keywords, cimageurl from products where cstock > 0", objConn,3
while not oRs.eof

description = replace(oRs("cdescription"), chr(10), "")
description = replace(description, chr(13), "")
description = replace(description, chr(34), "ft.")

oRs2.open "select intcategoryid from prodcategories where intcatalogid = "&oRs("catalogid"), objConn, 3

'Enter your category name here (ie. Books, Music & Video > Video)
category = "Books, Music & Video > Video"

oRs2.close

response.write "http://www.YOURSITE.com/shopquery.asp?catalogid="&oRs("catalogid")&" "&oRs("keywords")&" pattern "&oRs("cname")&" "&description&" "&oRs("cprice")&" http://www.YOURSITE.com/"&oRs("cimageurl")&" "&category&chr(13)&chr(10)

oRs.movenext
wend
oRs.close
objConn.close
%>
</pre></body></html>

Go to Top of Page

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - May 12 2004 :  02:05:42  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Candude,

Attempting to utlize your script, I come back with the following error. Any suggestions?
quote:

product_url name description price image_url category

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x14a4 Thread 0x14fc DBC 0x279ff0c Jet'.

/shopping/froogle-feeder.asp, line 5

Wayne
www.WorldFamousGiftBaskets.net
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 13 2004 :  22:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick-

Is this what you are looking for: shopsearch.asp ?

Try it out and see. It sounds much like what you are describing.

Nathan

Go to Top of Page

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  03:27:57  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Depending on your spoken language, Google has an option where you can set up a search through them for all of your pages that are indexed by google utilizing googles search engine.

http://www.google.com/services/free.html

The downfall 4.50 and below users, All of your pages have to be included in the google index.... this means that unless you are utilizing an ISAPI rewrite or a mod_rewrite command then google cannot access your dynamically driven URL's.

Wayne
www.WorldFamousGiftBaskets.net
Go to Top of Page

candude
VP-CART New User

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  10:21:29  Show Profile  Visit candude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wayne,

Make sure you specify your DB dir correctly..

e.g. c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WWF\db\vpdb.mdb

Alex

I either want less corruption or more chance to participate in it.
Go to Top of Page

jsbeads
Starting Member

USA
39 Posts

Posted - May 20 2004 :  06:29:38  Show Profile  Visit jsbeads's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wayne

Google does include all of my dynamic pages. You just have to work your page headers so that google sees what it supposed to.

Google found my pages through my site map, and through my afflitates.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00