Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Adding header and left nav from htm pages
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PhoenixA
Starting Member

41 Posts

Posted - January 25 2004 :  09:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

My site uses frames but i want to get rid of them without loosing the look of the site so i was thinking of putting the frame header as the header in VPASP which should be pretty easy but i'm not sure how i would put the frame side page in as the left nav? Does anyone know if this can be done and if so how would i resize the header, side and main pages so they all look like they should?

Thanks

patrickong
VP-CART New User

Singapore
58 Posts

Posted - January 25 2004 :  10:26:39  Show Profile  Visit patrickong's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi!

You can find the instructions in the Developer's Guide (page 87) that talks about customising frames at the top, left and main pages.

Check it out now!

Go to Top of Page

PhoenixA
Starting Member

41 Posts

Posted - January 26 2004 :  06:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply however i've already gone through that but its not what i was looking for, that is about how to customize frames which is what i already have, what i want to do is get rid of the frames altogether and have the page that is currently in my frame header as the header for VPASP and the same with the side page. Its pretty easy to put the frame header page in as all i have to do is rename this page to shoppage_header.htm but i'm not sure how i would do the same for the side page? The idea is that i will end up having one asp page put together from these components instead of a frame and so if any of my customers goes directly to any part of the cart the "frame" will be part of the page but i will still only have to edit these two pages when i need to make a change in navigation etc.

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - January 28 2004 :  13:57:38  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bypass the "left" frame file and instead just have separates files for each "frame" and then include those files in shoppage_header.htm/shoppage_trailer.htm using html tables.
You have to be very careful with the html table/column tags, though.

Go to Top of Page

PhoenixA
Starting Member

41 Posts

Posted - January 29 2004 :  23:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks devshb,

That's pretty much what I'm trying to do. I've got a friend working on it now that knows a lot more about html and asp than i do so hopefully he'll be able to get it working for me. If you've any tips from doing your own please let me know.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - January 30 2004 :  00:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PhoenixA,

There is a second header file that includes the left navigation. I don't quite remember the name of it now - can someone help here - I think it is called shoppage_header_left. You should be able to open it in an html editior and add your top and left frames, then save it as shoppage_header.htm.

HTH,

Jill

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - January 30 2004 :  06:44:05  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PhoenixA; as you asked, my tip is to create all your high-level table/column tags/code in a sample html file which shows all the "frames" (not real frames; pseudo-frames using html tables), and just use bgcolor in each definition so you can see the size/location of each frame properly. Once you've got the frames sized/located in the sample html, then paste your header/trailer/left-frame code inside the relevant tables, then split that in half and put the top half in the header and the bottom half in the trailer. You just have to be very careful about where you do the "split" !
As Jill says, you can also use shoppage_header_left.htm as a base for your top/left-frame logic; it's a great place to start.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00