Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 VPASP Slideshow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dragon_tat
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - January 14 2004 :  18:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to implement a product slideshow of featured items that automatically refreshes the screen at some programmer defined interval. My client has a relatively boring static html page today which only display a fraction of the unique products available. Any help someone could give would be deeply appreciated!

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - January 14 2004 :  19:04:46  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you considered techniques other than refreshing the whole page? Thats usually a 'No No' on shopping pages like that simply because someone may be looking at an item or some text and it may just vanish and refresh leaving them with nothing for a second then possibly new information.

What about a flash object that would read the items in from the shopping database and scoll them through somehow? Or, you could use an iFrame and list them all in there. You could scroll up and down (or side to side, or both, depending on how you configure it) within the page itself, and you wouldn't have to worry about refreshing anything. Actually, if you wanted, you could have the iFrame refresh at defined intervals but at least the whole page wont be refreshing.

That seems like it would work pretty well and would be the easiest method to me. A little more elegant than refreshing the whole page on them, but probably not as nice as a snazzy flash piece, though definitely easier.

Would that do the trick?

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

dragon_tat
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - January 14 2004 :  19:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jonmadrid,

I mispoke when I used the phrase "refreshed." Unfortunately I do not have access to Flash right now, but am intrigued by the slideshow code at http://jonathon.quotidian.org/aspslideshow.shtml. I believe many of us would benefit from an elegant solution that draws from fields marked in the VPASP Product database, creating a dynamic presentation for the viewer.

Go to Top of Page

GTM
VP-CART New User

USA
122 Posts

Posted - January 15 2004 :  02:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could be done with logic added to the actionscript in Flash. Here are two links to some Javascript that has a variety of different picture viewers that could be added to a static html page to display products.
http://javaboutique.internet.com/visual/slideshow.html
http://webdeveloper.earthweb.com/webjs/jsimage/

Greg

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - January 15 2004 :  13:36:21  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dragon_tat,

Most of those slideshows that GTM provided links to could be incorporated to cycle through your products. Those are more of true slideshows that the 'album-like' page you mentioned you liked.

Which of these two types better suit what you're looking for?

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

dragon_tat
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - January 17 2004 :  04:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry I have been slow to respond to all your help, I have been busy implementing changes to the site I am developing to meet (exceed) a couple deadlines from my client.

I have incorporated one of the java scripts suggested by GTM into my site and it is working fairly well, or at least for the first release of the website. I am still on a mission to develop a pure ASP based slideshow, one that smoothly blends into the Admin menu's in VP-ASP. Once completed, please be sure I will post the routines to this forum as my way of thanking everyone.

Thank you all again - my "working beta" demo with my client was an overwhelming success.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00