Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Importing Products - Categories and Subcategories
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raphael
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - January 03 2004 :  09:39:08  Show Profile  Visit raphael's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the answer if you are having trouble getting products to appear after importing and assigning categories during through import.

I spent 10 hours trying to find the answer and a simple analysis made it clear.

You must add another import field to your table called "hide".
The values in this field must all be "FALSE".

You may have noticed that you can get the products to show up in the store without doing this but you have to go in to each on and just click save. This action manually updates this field to FALSE whereas it is empty before.

Hope this helps so of you.

Raphael

Pleb
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - January 07 2004 :  00:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rapheal my saviour?. If what you speak of eliminates the work arounds I've used for 2 years - I'll love you long time.

Next bulk import is due in two weeks. Hope you've found it, but your solution may not be mine.

My particular problem with bulk imports is getting one part number to shoot off to 1 or more SubCategories which in themselves are under different main Categories.

Yeah, VPASP can do it via it's web page admin console, but who has the time for that unless you have less than 50 products. Nothing beats a good text file import. And with the cart's mdb sitting on our hosting company's server, we can't easilly do the alterations we have to do daily.

Therefore, our main database is kept in another "MS Access" format and from that we run queries to produce price lists, csv files for imports to our accounting program, and other activities. We can't use VPASPs mdb file as we have other products that aren't in the cart - nor do we want the risk of them accidently apppearing in the cart.

My solution involves adding -01, -02, -03 etc (via Excel) to each part - to make the same part appear a different one. Then, with their relative 'ccategory' number assigned - the import file is ready.

Before import, I empty the PRODUCTCATEGORIES TABLE using aspAccessEditor. I've end up with say 4000 products in the cart when I only have 1500. But it works and my boss gave me a bonus at Xmas to buy some steak for the kids.

You'll hear from me in this thread if your way works. It will save so much time. Roll on technology. Only a few years ago these carts for plebs didn't exist.

Pleb

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00