Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 converting to SQL from Access
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ASPdummy
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - December 29 2003 :  01:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have outgrown Access and want to convert to SQL. Is there anyone on the board who has successfully used the new SQL Conversion Tool by Virtual Programing? I have never worked with SQL and know NOTHING about it. Is there a way to do this seamlessly?

ASPdummy
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - December 29 2003 :  01:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just heard from Howard that the conversion tool will not work with 3.5, which is what I am using. My site is in Japanese with tons of customization and it would be hard to upgrade to 5.0. Is there a way to convert to SQL? My database has 1200 products.

Would I have to export all my data from Access and then import it into SQL? Or, is there any easier way?

Edited by - ASPdummy on December 29 2003 01:54:40
Go to Top of Page

rpfeff
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - December 31 2003 :  10:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To import from Access to SQL SErver, you can use the SQL Enterprise manager. Create a database, click on tables, find the import wizard and follow the directions to import every table in the VPASP database. Then you have to find and designate the primary keys in the tables and make the "identity" fields under "design table". Then it just works like a charm. You might have to fiddle a little bit to get the connection string working.

Hope this helps.
[email protected]

Go to Top of Page

rpfeff
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - December 31 2003 :  10:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I didn't answer your question.

No, you don't have to export and then import. Just use the SQL enterprise manager import wizard and tell it that it is reading an access database. It can deal with that, but you will still have to fix the primary keys and identity fields (identity in sql server = autonumber in access).

If you don't have access to the enterprise manager it will be more difficult.

Rob
[email protected]

Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - January 01 2004 :  00:16:41  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only easy wasy to import access to slq apart from vp-asp script is, use Sql EM and Import data using DTS packages.
The steps are:
1. Create an ODBC connection to your Access db
2. Go to SQL EM and create a same name of your Access db
3. Use the DTS package to Import the DB from Access to SQl
4. Change your shop$config.asp file for connection.
If you are on shared hosting, then you might have to get the access db in your computer and do step 1 and 2 in your computer.
If you have any problem, buzz me.
[email protected]
SIRAJ.

Edited by - siraj on January 01 2004 18:21:36
Go to Top of Page

ASPdummy
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - January 01 2004 :  01:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where can I download Enterprise Manager? How much is it? Is there an evaluation demo where I can actually upsize my access db to SQL? I look all over Microsoft's website and could not find it. I thought it was a Microsoft product.

Edited by - ASPdummy on January 01 2004 02:48:25
Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - January 01 2004 :  10:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about other versions, but Access 2000 can convert your database to SQL. I think it is the Upsizing Wizard under Tools. I don't have any experience with it, but I've heard about it. After that, you can manage the database using Access for a front end.

Jill

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 01 2004 :  13:08:13  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please see www.vpasp.com/virtprog/info/faq_sqlserver.htm

The upsizing wizards CANNOT and MUST NOT be used. It does not create the correct types of fields. Only our supplied scripts can be used to create VP-ASP tabes.

VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - January 01 2004 :  13:13:32  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Enterpice Mange comes with SQL server. YOu can download the Trail Version of SQl server at Microsoft site.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d20ba6e1-f44c-4781-a6bb-f60e02dc1335&DisplayLang=en
If the above link does not work then go to microsoft.com --> downloads --> select Sql server from the dropdown menu and GO --> SQL Server 2000 Evaluation Edition Release A (Protects Against the Slammer Worm)--> download.
Once you download and install you will have the EM.
But more over you need to do lot of other stuffs making connections and creating db and things like that.
I am not sure wheather upsizing wizard will work for VPASP, I remember somewhere in vpasp docs its documented.
If you need more help buzz me at [email protected]
GOOD LUCK.
SIRAJ.

Edited by - siraj on January 01 2004 13:22:15
Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - January 02 2004 :  00:50:23  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just thougt of latest pathches VP-ASP released for SQL injections. If you are upgrading your db to SQL server and you are on 3.5, Fisrt check with VP-ASP support what are files need to be modified for SQl injections and get the security fixes for V 3.5.
If your customized files are one of them, then you need to take care of that one too.
GOOD LUCK.
SIRAJ.
Go to Top of Page

ASPdummy
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - January 02 2004 :  19:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just thougt of latest pathches VP-ASP released for SQL injections. If you are upgrading your db to SQL server and you are on 3.5, Fisrt check with VP-ASP support what are files need to be modified for SQl injections and get the security fixes for V 3.5.

Thanks for the advise. I just downloaded the trial version of SQL Server. Do I need to also download anything else (patches, etc) even though I just want to use SQLEM?

Also, after my trial version runs out in four months, is it possible to continue using just SQL EM? Can anyone tell me where I can find some easy-to-understand documentation to use EM?

Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - January 03 2004 :  13:03:28  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SQL EM is one of the bundled product comes with SQL Server and using the EM, yo manage the SQL server. For docs, you can find in msdn.com
I sent you mail regarding that.
GOOD LUCK.
SIRAJ.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00