Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Legal Repurcussions - Copying a Site Design
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeremy_fx
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - October 11 2003 :  11:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

My client wants me to exactly copy the design of an existing site. Only the logos will be different.

I wish to know whether can I exactly copy the design of an exiting site, for my client's site. What are the legal aspects of it?

Further, the site my client wants me to copy says "Copyright © CompanyName, All Rights Reserved." on it. What does this mean? Does this say the design of the site cannot be coopied.?

Please help me in this regard. Thanks.

cwalters
Starting Member

38 Posts

Posted - October 13 2003 :  10:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just my opinion:

Find a new client.

If your client is willing to steal from someone else that means he's willing to steal... period. You might be his next victim.

Chris

Go to Top of Page

Superal
VP-CART Expert

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - October 14 2003 :  17:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats what copyright means. It is there intelecual property.
Bad, bad client.

Go to Top of Page

Justin
VP-CART New User

87 Posts

Posted - October 15 2003 :  00:51:15  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as I can remember you can't copyright "look and feel." At least, that's Australian law. You shouldn't copy the words however. This is the intellectual property that copyright refers to.

JL

Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - October 19 2003 :  02:31:40  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as legal point of view in US, its illegal. But your clients does need some look & feel of his competitor site to take advantage. Therer are 2 solutions.
1. You just can do the work whatever his tells you do and leave the legal issue upto him as he is willing to take the risk. Get it signed by him before you start the work you are not responsible for and you are just programming
2. Reject the project.
Most of the time in US, if you copy from other company's website, they send you out a letter and ask you to take the part off.

Go to Top of Page

Justin
VP-CART New User

87 Posts

Posted - December 08 2003 :  17:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm interested, what was the website they wanted you to copy? Must have been a pretty good site! :)

Also, did you ever resolve this?

J

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00