Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.00 Questions
 Question about catalogid field in oitems table
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

grayfox5
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - September 27 2003 :  19:23:12  Show Profile  Visit grayfox5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recently got VP-ASP 5 set up on my site, and have a question about managing the database.

Even though I have a 12,000 record product table, I prefer to handle it in Access at this time, and performance seems fine. One of the reasons I want to work in Access is that with our dynamic and changeable part numbers (cname field), I can take the store offline, copy the structure of the products table, populate it with the latest parts file, delete the original products table, compact the database and send it back to the host. I am not using product categories at this time, so that's not an issue.

I have not run the above procedure yet though. Before I do, I wanted to understand more about the oitems table. The table contains a catalogid field, which is the key field from the products table. Yet there is also a field for itemname, which contains a combination of part number (cname from the products table) and cdescription. My question is, do I need to take the catalogid field into consideration when updating the products table? In other words, if a record in oitems contains a catalogid field of "100" (which relates to record 100 in the products table), is there a lookup that is done from oitems back to the products table for information? Or is all the necessary information contained in oitems once it has been written to that table?

If VP-ASP relies on the catalogid field in oitems for lookup information in products for reports or order review, what happens if the administrator deletes a record in products that has been sold and is in the oitems table?

Jack

Jack

Superal
VP-CART Expert

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - September 28 2003 :  14:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All pertainant product data is stored in the oitems table. It doesn't go to the products table to look up anything after the fact. Deleting the product does not change the oitem table in any respect.

Go to Top of Page

grayfox5
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - September 28 2003 :  15:37:46  Show Profile  Visit grayfox5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Superal,

Thanks for the reply. I really didn't think it would affect the record in oitems after the fact. I was more concerned with the linking portion of it, i.e. if catalogid "100" for part "x" in the oitems table referenced record 100, part "x" in the products table, and then after I rebuilt the products table part "x" was now catalogid "200", if oitems would now point to the wrong part (still 100, but now 100 is a different part number). Sounds like there is no relational linking though once the record is created in oitems.
Actually, it's not good relational database technique to rely on the physical location of a record when linking to it anyway. Seems almost a waste of processing time and disk space to even include the catalogid field in oitems, unless there's something I'm missing.

Jack

Jack
Go to Top of Page

Superal
VP-CART Expert

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - September 29 2003 :  02:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once the order is saved, all items that are ordered are stored in the oitems table. There isn't a link back to the products table after. You can change anything you want in the products table or even delete and it will not change the existing items in the oitems table. VPASP thought of your concerns from the start. Genius!!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00