Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 USPS Add-On - HELP!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnnySlotCar
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - September 24 2003 :  03:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't figure this out. I've registered with USPS, added the files to my site, added new field and added the asp filename to the database - but I cant get the ANY shipping screens to show up at all after checkout and before the paypal screen. I've gone through the dev. doc but can't see what I'm doing wrong. Can someone suggest what I should be looking for? I'm sure I mucked up a menu option somewhere... HELP!

John

JohnnySlotCar
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - September 24 2003 :  12:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've installed a second copy of VPASP on my local machine and duplicated ALL off the default shipping settings in my production copy - still no luck! I can't even get the default shipping methods to show??

Is there a phone number for support??

Go to Top of Page

JohnnySlotCar
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - September 24 2003 :  16:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found it - These forums are a huge help (for others it seems!)

(*attitude on vpasp only worsening - at least it's paid for!*)

I know this isn't the correct forum for this, but I saw a 'next release suggestions' so heres a few of mine:

* If the admin is logged in, he's logged in - why do I have to re-login every single time to the admin screen. Everything seems to be stored in a session variable - how about that too (I changed mine to do it)

* Consistency. The code is all over the map when it comes to giving this a custom look. A partially implemented .css means I have to continually hunt through my pages to find incosistencies on every .css mod - frustrating.

* Need better 'layman' documentation for specific programming items, like functions and common routines. Commonly used ones are not always easy to locate for beginners.

* More descriptive admin pages. Why pop up help? Why not put txtVars in the actual admin pages and include help that way? It's not like each help topic is pages long anyway - your lucky to get 2 sentences in most cases. Help system content vague and often incomplete.

* Along the same lines - can't stand having to remember xEverything in the admin screens. How about a 'more common/descriptive name' name with the xWhatever in parens under or next to it.

The USPS add-on instruction states 'add filename.asp' to xShipRoutine field', yet when you go to the shipmethods screen, the field is called 'file name'. Finally a 'friendly name' but the doc's point you in the wrong direction. I didn't figure it out till I opened the table directly. also look at the help system under 'xfixedshippingmethod' - the help says 'This is the name of your shipping method. Use'. Use what? vague and incomplete.

* Make it 'skinable'. This would go a long way to improving this product.

* Make it more modular. HakTail has done some very cool things along these lines. The ability to use an <---#include(file.asp) --> for commmon pieces would help many.

* Hire Haktail - seems to have the best understanding from a users viewpoint than anyone else.

Overall, this strikes me as a total developer app - not really meant for joe blow to just get in and use as is advertised. I know, I know - I downloaded my eval copy and should of looked closer, the features were what got me. My bad. For $200 I definitely got my money's worth, but the customization is a daunting, time consuming task for even a mid level asp guy or gal. $200 bucks starts you off, but how much time or consulting $$ does it cost after the fact. I can't imagine there's anyone running it 'straight out of the box' with any success other than VPASP themselves.

But still, stating that it's 'fully' documented is a little bit of a misnomer. It's not even consistently commented.

I'm sure my post will be deleted, and no one will ever answer my post - because no one ever does! I'm stunned how many 'support' requests from others have '0' replies.

I'll go back to lurking and figure out my own problems.

I'd welcome a v5.5 release that addressed 'friendliness' and consistency more than another poorly documented 'feature-itis' release. One feature sorely missing is proper inventory control for items with sizes.

There's obviously programming talent at VPASP - get an 'interface' and 'documentation' guy or gal in there, even if for a consultory gig.

I'm sure VPASP isn't a 100 person company - that's all the more reason to provide better documentation and screen 'friendliness' - to cut support calls down.

It's also why companies like 'YourVirtualStore' have a place in the market.

I usually check my spelling and grammar before posting long messages - but what's the point - the courtesy isn't a two-way street.

Later.

Go to Top of Page

justin123
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - December 04 2003 :  13:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You answered my question through your frustration

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

justin123
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - December 04 2003 :  15:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take that back
Can anyone help me

Im getting this 1100 error --------

totalweight=1
Singleweight=1
Weight=1 Destzip=93065 Fromzip=20165 Dest country=us
Sending data=
AppVersion=1.2&AcceptUPSLicenseAgreement=yes&ResponseType=application/x-ups-rss&ActionCode=4&ServiceLevelCode=GND&RateChart=Regular+Daily+Pickup&ShipperPostalCode=20165&ConsigneePostalCode=93065&ConsigneeCountry=us&PackageActualWeight=1&ResidentialInd=1&PackagingType=00
Returnd data=
--UPSBOUNDARY Content-type: text/html Content-length: 30 --UPSBOUNDARY Content-type: application/x-ups-error Content-length: 81 UPSOnLine%1.2%6920%1100The requested service is invalid from the selected origin. --UPSBOUNDARY--
UPS rates failed with the following message
1100The requested service is invalid from the selected origin. --------

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00