Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Product Import Problems \ More Information Field
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raywpp
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - June 02 2003 :  12:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is becoming a serious problem. I cannot add an unlimited amount of text to the more information field in product edit as the instruction manual claims.

I have already tried the following steps:
1. Manually entered lengthy descriptions on the product edit page and updated the record.
2. Taken all comma's and quotation marks out of the descriptions on import and manual entry.

Neither of these steps work and I am unable to put a description of any significant length into the cart at this time.

FYI, I have been importing the products using a .csv file.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cam
VP-CART Super User

Australia
361 Posts

Posted - June 04 2003 :  17:19:18  Show Profile  Visit Cam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

Are you using SQL Server?

One of our customers sent us a solution that may work although I have not had a chance to test as yet.

Change the extended desc field in the sqlservershopping.sql file to:

[extendeddesc] [text] null ,

In shopproductcreatesql.asp line 18 reads
strdistinct="DISTINCT"

substitute this line with this
strdistinct=""

Save your file.

As I said I have not tested this myself as yet.

Cheers,
Cam

Cam Flanigan
YourVirtualStore Sales
e-mail: http://www.vpasp.com/sales/shopcustcontact.asp
web: http://www.yourvirtualstore.net

Build you own YourVirtualStore!!!
www.yourvirtualstore.net
Go to Top of Page

gazzaca
Starting Member

28 Posts

Posted - June 11 2003 :  19:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do all my updates from a local copy of the database on my desktop in access, then I export to a text file, called products.txt, comma delimited with the first row has field names checked. I have a lot of data in the "more" or extended descriptions field, & I have over 2000 records in the database.

Then I ftp that file to my website and use the import from file facility in VPASP, I change match catalogID to ccode and run the update. It dosent matter if you are using access or sql server with importing this way, the only snag is it wont delete records just update or add them.

I have never had a problem doing it this way, I use access queries to make all the changes to prices/categories/stock level etc locally then export and upload, its wayyyyyyy faster than on the website.

Go to Top of Page

rodney
VP-CART New User

USA
75 Posts

Posted - June 22 2003 :  00:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you gett eh problem worked out .....

Rodney

-Rodney
Go to Top of Page

lori_manney
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - June 25 2003 :  12:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

By default, the cdescription field is datatype [varchar] with a length of 1000. You could try increasing the length, or changing the datatype to [text] which has no character limit.

HTH,

Lori

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - June 25 2003 :  16:26:24  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortuntately text will not work with VP-ASP. It has very special processing rules. You can increase the size to 2000 or 3000 but nor more otherwise you will hit a SQL record limit of 8000

Howard Kadetz
VP-ASP

Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - March 26 2005 :  11:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using VPASP 5.5. The "unlimited amount of text" is the main reason I purchased VPASP.

My site sells sheet music, where a collection of music can have anywhere from 20 titles to 1000 as its contents. I assumed as with typical e-commerce sites, that I would be able to have complete contents listed with each collection, and each title would then become part of the search capability. For example, if someone were to type in "Wonderful World" as a search, then a list of all collections containing the song would appear.

The cdescription and extendeddesc fields cannot handle this. Why does Microsoft (using SQL Server) always have some darn catch or limitation or complexity. . .

VPASP should remove this "unlimited text" as part of advertising the capability of the shopping cart, unless I'm wrong and there is a way to work around the limitation. It is fine for widgets and any product line with short descriptions, but not for anyone that needs lengthy product descriptions or extended descriptions that are an intregal part of the selling (search) process.

Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - March 28 2005 :  07:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The cdescription and extendeddesc fields cannot handle this. Why does Microsoft (using SQL Server) always have some darn catch or limitation or complexity. . .

As stated earlier, for some reason VP-ASP defined the extendeddesc field as a varchar(1000) instead of a Text field which would give you the larger size. I don't see any reason why you couldn't change this to a varchar(8000) right now and that should handle most of your needs.

I really would like to know why Howard Kadetz said that a text field would not work. I understand that you cannot manipulate a text field (easily) in a SQL stored procedure but VP-ASP doesn't use stored procedures, at least that I know of. So inserting into a text field and retrieving from there shouldn't be any different than using a varchar field. At least it never has in my coding experience.

If the VP-ASP code can handle an Access database field of Memo for the extendeddesc field, it should be able to handle a Text field too.
Jeff

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 28 2005 :  09:11:58  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I might be wrong, but from what I can remember, access is rare in its ability to do things with memo fields. Most other databases (sqlserver, oracle etc) basically just allow you to import and display memo fields but don't (easily) allow you to use search strings (like "%x%" etc) or to manipulate them etc.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - March 29 2005 :  06:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least in SQL 2000, you can search for the field with "like '%whatever%'", get the field, update the field, and insert a new record with the field. I just did all those to verify before I posted. There must be something else in the code that perhaps we're missing.
Jeff

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00