Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 can I automatically attach a .pdf to an email?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scry42
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - February 13 2015 :  11:58:13  Show Profile  Visit scry42's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings!
My knowledge level in VP-ASP is very (read:VERY) basic, but it looks as if it is possible to do what I am wanting to do - tho I will need a little help from those of you who "get it."

One of my products is a .pdf file of plans that I am currently emailing manually to customers who purchase it.

I would like to have the site recognize the catalogid number for this product (183), and in the file that the customer receives as a receipt for their order, automatically include said .pdf file.

On another product, customers need to receive a .pdf file as well, though the pdf file is not the product, but information that customers need to know about the shipping of said product.

Can we oversimplify this process and make it happen?

What a blessing that would be.

Christy Hemenway
Gold Star Honeybees
Farmingdale, ME, USA
www.goldstarhoneybees.com
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, and that is to have either a clear conscience or none at all. -Ogden Nash, poet (1902-1971)

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - February 16 2015 :  05:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Christie,

the first pdf could be set up as a product, and in the product type field choose download. When the customer purchases the product it sends a download link. Saves you emailing each time

The information contained in the second pdf could be added to the description part of the product record prompting the customer to read before purchasing.

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - February 16 2015 :  23:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
christy, u better setup downloadable product, which a download link should show after payment. i done this before with my digital selling product, i tell u what i done before

- edit for product
- in "Product Type" choose download
- in "Download" field enter location of your pdf, say i put it images/xxxxx.pdf
- xendoforderhyperlinks yes
- xendofordervalidpayments paypal,visa,etc.......
- xendoforderhyperlinkfield orderdownload

any question u can ask me.
diego

Go to Top of Page

scry42
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - February 19 2015 :  19:33:11  Show Profile  Visit scry42's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all this help - sorry to be so slow in implementing and responding...

I was able to make the product downloadable, (Yay! )but only as a file that actually downloads, not as a live hyperlink that the customer can click on.

When I try to set up the hyperlink and click on it, it gives an error message: "Download is not authorized."

Any ideas?

Christy Hemenway
Gold Star Honeybees
Farmingdale, ME, USA
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, and that is to have either a clear conscience or none at all. -Ogden Nash, poet (1902-1971)
Go to Top of Page

serjtankian
VP-CART Super User

Armenia
378 Posts

Posted - February 20 2015 :  11:23:16  Show Profile  Visit serjtankian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think you need to logged in as a customer to download the file

*serj*
Go to Top of Page

scry42
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - February 23 2015 :  16:58:06  Show Profile  Visit scry42's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An update for serjtankian, diegomilito, and carfin. Well - I have Secure Download working now. It was both simpler and more complicated than you would have thought. Settings changes are required in two places - the product itself, and Shop Configuration under 3 - Delivery & Shipping, under Secure Downloads. Here they are in the hope that this proves helpful for others:

On the Product:
1) Change the Product Type to Download via the dropdown menu
2) In the Download field, enter the location of the file to be downloaded, in this case it was:
C:\Inetpub\vhosts\goldstarhoneybees.com\httpdocs\images\xxxxxxx.pdf

In the Shop Configuration, under #3 Delivery & Shipping - go into Secure Downloads and match these settings:

xdownloadblock = No (If this is set to yes, it shuts down the secure download facility. Used to stop hacker attacks.)
xdownloadfeature = No
xdownloadlimitcount = I have this set to 5 - it’s the number of times they can return to download the product
xdownloadlimitdays = I have this set to 365 - it’s the number of days before it will no longer let them download the product
xdownloads = Yes
Xdownloadsemail = Yes
Xdownloadswithoutlogin = No
xendoforderattachmentfield = orderattachment (this is a default, not actually used in this case)
xendoforderattachments = No
xendoforderhyperlinkemail = Yes
xendoforderhyperlinkfield = orderdownload
xendoforderhyperlinks = No (If this is set to yes, it allows for UNSECURED hyperlinks at the end of an email)
xendofordervalidpayments = AuthorizeNet AIM

These settings allow for a live (randomly generated?) download link on both the order confirmation page and in the email receipt sent to the customer. When this email is sent to someone else the download is not available, if it is copy/pasted to someone else, again, the download is not available. (:-)) The link will download the document for the number of times set under xdownloadlimitcount or for the number of days set under xdownloadlimitdays, whichever happens first.

serjtankian - Yes the customer must log in to the "customer service facility" in order to get to their download. But the cause of the "Download is not authorized" error message turned out to be that I was testing with a free product, but had not changed xendofordervalidpayment to read Payment not Required. If the product is free, that field must say Payment not required. If the product is NOT free, enter the payment method you will accept.

I can’t get over the feeling that there’s an additional layer of security that could be put in place here by using the xdownloadfeature field to send the Secure Download facility to a different location for the file, which sounds like it would be more secure, but I haven’t seen that work. If anyone had additional info on that, I''d be happy to hear it.

Also I used these "helpnotes" to advantage:
http://helpnotes.vpasp.com/kb/25-Order-Attachments-and-Downloads/833-Order-Attachments-&-Secure-Downloads/

Thanks to all who contributed!

:-)

Christy Hemenway
Gold Star Honeybees
Farmingdale, ME, USA
Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - February 26 2015 :  03:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that sounds cool... i got time to read the helpnote, thanks too.
diego
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00