Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Import utility
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pick1e
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - April 30 2003 :  09:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I'm considering using vpasp with the batch import utility since we have thousands of products. Is there any more info about this utility, like a demo or screen shots or anything? I'm very curious to know how it works. I'd like to use it with access databases.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If anybody would be kind enough to take a screen shot I would be so greatful, you could send it to me at justinstotter at hotmail dot com.

Thanks!

moshiri
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - May 04 2003 :  13:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I would very much to hear an answer to this question as well. Anyone out there knows how?
Thanks

Allen Moshiri
Go to Top of Page

dbanici
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - April 04 2004 :  10:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just getting started with VPASP and I wanted to add my 2 cents to this topic.

VPASP offers a blank MS Access database that is a mirror image of your SQL Server database (and I am assuming anyone with large numbers of products and customers uses SQL server).

Besides the method offered by Product Import (uploading the file to the Shopping directory using FTP), there is another method that should work, using MS Access as a front end for SQL Server updates.

1. In MS Access create a "link table" item to the local table storing the information you want to ADD using the New Table wizard.
2. Run the Link Table wizard again, this time select ODBC connection and enter the login details to connect to your remote SQL server. Once connected you should be able to browse and select the table you want to append data to.
You are now linked to both tables (the local data you want to insert and also the remote SQL server where the data will go - which can be on hosted space elsewhere).
3. In MS Access go to the Queries tab now. Select NEW | Simple Query Wizard | OK. Select the SOURCE table (this can be a DBF, CSV or XLS that contains your data - you just linked to it in the previous step) from the drop-down, move all fields you need to use to the right side. If you do a little data formatting in advance and use the blank MS Access 2000 database supplied by VPASP, then you move all fields over with no headaches at this point. Click Next twice, enter a name for your query such as UpdateXX_XXXX (where the X is the date) for your new query and select the radio button "Modify query design" then click FINISH.
4. If you selected the radio button as mentioned above, you will be able to select Query | Append Query from the top menu. Otherwise click on the Design button then select Query |Append. Now it will ask you what table you want to append the data to - select the SQL Server table you connected to using ODBC.
You may have to manually match field names if they are not identical.
After you finish matching fields in this APPEND query, close it. It will be available to run any time you want to send local data to the SQL Server by just double-clicking on it, and you have also just learned how to use your MS Access as a front end for a remote SQL Server.

Dan
Go to Top of Page

oceans420
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - June 24 2004 :  13:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Microsoft Office 2000 as a front office for my VPASP 5.0 and sql database of over 7,500 products and a couple of hundred cats and subcats and it works great. I can import/export the data from any table. I can also process orders, print packing slips and labels, manage my inventory and accounting. It works great for doing all these things and more,you just have to invest the time in building the front office.

Mike D

quote:

I am just getting started with VPASP and I wanted to add my 2 cents to this topic.

VPASP offers a blank MS Access database that is a mirror image of your SQL Server database (and I am assuming anyone with large numbers of products and customers uses SQL server).

Besides the method offered by Product Import (uploading the file to the Shopping directory using FTP), there is another method that should work, using MS Access as a front end for SQL Server updates.

1. In MS Access create a "link table" item to the local table storing the information you want to ADD using the New Table wizard.
2. Run the Link Table wizard again, this time select ODBC connection and enter the login details to connect to your remote SQL server. Once connected you should be able to browse and select the table you want to append data to.
You are now linked to both tables (the local data you want to insert and also the remote SQL server where the data will go - which can be on hosted space elsewhere).
3. In MS Access go to the Queries tab now. Select NEW | Simple Query Wizard | OK. Select the SOURCE table (this can be a DBF, CSV or XLS that contains your data - you just linked to it in the previous step) from the drop-down, move all fields you need to use to the right side. If you do a little data formatting in advance and use the blank MS Access 2000 database supplied by VPASP, then you move all fields over with no headaches at this point. Click Next twice, enter a name for your query such as UpdateXX_XXXX (where the X is the date) for your new query and select the radio button "Modify query design" then click FINISH.
4. If you selected the radio button as mentioned above, you will be able to select Query | Append Query from the top menu. Otherwise click on the Design button then select Query |Append. Now it will ask you what table you want to append the data to - select the SQL Server table you connected to using ODBC.
You may have to manually match field names if they are not identical.
After you finish matching fields in this APPEND query, close it. It will be available to run any time you want to send local data to the SQL Server by just double-clicking on it, and you have also just learned how to use your MS Access as a front end for a remote SQL Server.

Dan

Go to Top of Page

StevenWWinters
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - July 13 2004 :  11:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>>Besides the method offered by Product Import (uploading the file to the Shopping directory using FTP), there is another method that should work, using MS Access as a front end for SQL Server updates

Are you using this method over a local network where both the server and your import workstation reside on the same network? Or are you able to do this remotely across the internet?

Thx...

Go to Top of Page

oceans420
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - July 28 2004 :  03:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the internet using the ms access link to table or import table
Using ms access link to table you can build forms, queries & reports that use your vpasp sql database as a backend.

Mike

quote:

>>Besides the method offered by Product Import (uploading the file to the Shopping directory using FTP), there is another method that should work, using MS Access as a front end for SQL Server updates

Are you using this method over a local network where both the server and your import workstation reside on the same network? Or are you able to do this remotely across the internet?

Thx...

Go to Top of Page

oceans420
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - July 28 2004 :  03:53:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the internet using the ms access link to table or import table
Using ms access link to table you can build forms, queries & reports that use your vpasp sql database as a backend.

Mike

quote:

Thx...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00