Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 App Pool - memory leak
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

havanajoe26
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - August 05 2011 :  19:33:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My website keeps going down and looks like the only thing that fixes it is recycling the app pool. The website has been up about 4 days and ive already had to do this 4 times.

Anybody else experience this? Is this a known issue.

running 7.01

imagstar.com

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - August 07 2011 :  19:29:54  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

As far as we know 7.01 does not have a leak. Have you modified the code?

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp
Go to Top of Page

havanajoe26
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - August 08 2011 :  01:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only things i've changed is the look of the site. i haven't changed any functionality. I am running it with access database. Not sure if performance with that is critical or if sql server or mysql is recommended.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - August 08 2011 :  22:09:32  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure if it is related but have a look at the following post:

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11886

Gives a great tip on how to tweak your server to release memory.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - August 09 2011 :  05:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at your logs as it may not be your server to blame.

We have had similar problems and it was various spiders and other bots eating up the resources. Blocking various IP ranges and bots has helped sort the problem out.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop including vibrators and dildos.
Go to Top of Page

havanajoe26
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - September 14 2011 :  13:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I was away for bit but I really need some help. I built this site for a client of mine. The site is hosted with GoDaddy on a shared hosting plan. It's the only site on the hosting account. He recently sent me an email saying his site is going down several times each day.

His email:

"So I've noticed a pattern. My website keeps going down several times a day. I called GoDaddy to find out what's happening and why this keeps happening. They ran some test and they said there's a problem with the coding. They also told me that A web config file needs to be created. They said what might be happening is that there's a problem with the coding so the app pool (whatever it is) gets full and it shuts down the site and whenever it reboots it brings it back up. But that the issue must be in the coding."

I read about setting cache limits to 5 and then the rest will save to hard disk, but I dont think i have that option with shared hosting
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 14 2011 :  17:11:00  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's definitely worth asking the host what that cache option is set to on the server.

If they say it's cacheing all the asp files to memory instead of disk, and if they refuse to change that option, then I think you need to change host, otherwise it doesn't matter how tuned/correct/unleaky your code is you'll end up using a ridiculous amount of memory because of that cache issue and the site will keep crashing.

There's not much point trying to tune an asp process that uses, say, 5meg of memory, to use 2meg instead, when every single asp file (even ones that are just a few bytes) are taking up, say, 50meg of memory each.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: