Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Multiple Accounts Based On Site Ordered From
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - July 18 2011 :  16:43:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Before i start working on this I thought I'd see if anyone has done this before.

As many of you may know we have a number of sites all using the one backend. It works well for us but we could really do with a way in which customers can log into each site independently.

So currently if a customer buys from one site they can access their details from any of the sites. We want a way in which customers can only access their details from the original site, thereby meaning they have to have seperate accounts for different sites.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop including vibrators and dildos.

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - July 19 2011 :  04:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

In my opinion your existing customers won't like it. Most people assume that if they are registered with a company website they will not have to create separate accounts for any other site run by the same parent company.

Just my penny's worth :)

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - July 19 2011 :  05:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol,

Thanks for your input.

I agree that if customers were ordering from more than one site then initiating this may cause problems, but I've looked at our records and very few people have ordered from different sites.

The long term plan is for each of our sites to be marketed seperately and eventually they will have their own company. The best example I can give is the DSG group. They own Currys, PC World and Dixons, but if you register with PC World your details don't allow you to log in to the Currys site, even though they are the same company.

Yours

Steve
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - July 19 2011 :  06:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

sounds like big plans afoot!

In that case, yes I agree that you would need separate registrations for each site but not sure if you can achieve this with just one database unless you clone the customers table

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - July 20 2011 :  03:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol,

Yep we've got quite a few plans going on with the different sites and that was the problem.

We were worried that if someone had placed an order with site A then found site B, site B would tell them they already had an account, even though they had never been to it before. If that happened to me it would probably put me off site B.

But this turned out to be easier than I thought it would be.

We've started to use the "website" field in the customers table. Then when an account is added the relevant website is put in this field.

Then in the sql to check if an a customer already exists we check this field to make sure it tallies with the current website.

Only 2 files needed changing in the end.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - July 20 2011 :  06:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that simple lol

It's amazing how something that initially looks so complicated can be achieved so easily once you get your problem solving cap on.

Great stuff and good luck

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00