Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Persistent Cart Sessions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  04:33:46  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carfin,

I agree, this would have been better, but at least with the current module I've tested you are able to save more than 20 items. There are a couple settings made ti the IIS settings to allow this, as well as a setting in the files provided which allow more than 20 items saved at once.

Although this won't save things once cookies are cleared, it is an improvement.

Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  04:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris,

yes I've just been informed by support that the cookie will store more than 20 items which is good. I'll get this implemented on our site next week sometime.

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

manilow
VP-CART New User

France
134 Posts

Posted - April 11 2012 :  04:14:08  Show Profile  Visit manilow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that not only session variables get lost frequently on my site but the application variables as well. This slows down the page load, especially the first requested page, since the language array's are reconstructed.

Microsoft support states that a antivirus scan or a backup program on the web server could be the reason when it scans the global.asa file. However, I don't have that file.

Could anyone give another explanation?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 12 2012 :  00:29:33  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there

It sounds like you may be in a web farm and the session is being routed through different servers.

Can you ask your host if they can ensure you are not in a web farm and that your site is in a dedicated application pool.

The application variables should certainly not be lost and this would point to a server configuration issue.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp

Did you know VPASP now offers premium Cloud based e-commerce web hosting?

Ask me for more details on how we can help you with a complete solution to your
online needs.
Go to Top of Page

manilow
VP-CART New User

France
134 Posts

Posted - April 23 2012 :  15:55:59  Show Profile  Visit manilow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply, Cam.

After quite some investigations, I've found the reason for the frequent loss of the application and session variables of my web site.

It's hosted on a shared server, with a dedicated application pool. According to the web host, the server was relatively crowded so they proposed to move my web site to a new server, as they did. However, after the removal the problem remained.

With a global.asa file and a test page, I checked the run time of the application pool. It appeared to never exceed 60 seconds! Apparently, the application pool was recycled after only a minute despite the idleTimeout and recycle time settings.

Apparently, the host had configured the application pool to be recycled after consuming a set amount of memory. I asked them to unselect that check box (Maximum used memory). Eversince, the application is only recycled at the set time (4:00 am) and the application variables remain stable in memory. Consequently, the page load time of my web site is much shorter (<1000 ms).

I guess most of the observed session losses are related to this kind of settings. In this context, I think it would be wise to optimize the use of server memory by minimizing the use of application and session variables in the shopping cart.

I hope my experiences will be useful to other users.

Erik
www.aquathermia.com
Go to Top of Page

bss
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  08:42:32  Show Profile  Visit bss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cam,

Has this issue been resolved yet, and if so how do I get it for my site (we have had major issues with both speed and cart losses for a number of years now.

If it is not yet resloved, can you update the forum on when this fix will be available?

Cheers

Phil
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  23:03:08  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Phil,

We have added he module to our Download section for customers to download.

You must be using the latest version of our software for it to work smoothly.

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspcustomer.htm#addons

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp

Did you know VPASP now offers premium Cloud based e-commerce web hosting?

Ask me for more details on how we can help you with a complete solution to your
online needs.
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  22:28:14  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cam,

I was one of the beta testers on this, and it has been working, but I do notice slow downs on my pages. Is the current version possibly different that what I might have started with?

Also, Manilow, were your problems (and solutions) happening WHILE using the session cookie module discussed here?

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

manilow
VP-CART New User

France
134 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  08:56:01  Show Profile  Visit manilow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris,

I don't use the newly developed VPASP module but modified the existing v7.0 files.

The major problem with the original files was indeed the slowed down responsiveness, like page load times over 10 seconds! Initially, I thought it had essentially to do with the database type (Access) and that SQL Server would be a solution. However, by checking the way the session data was saved, I understood the main reason: every getSess or setSess request required a new database connection which is very resource consuming.

My own approach was to limit the number of database connections to only twice a page: read all session data from the database at the very start and save it back to the database at the end of each page. I sent my modified files to the VPASP support but don’t know whether this information has been used in the new module.

With xsavesessdualmode="Yes", the average page load time of my web site is less than 1000 ms; when xsavesessdualmode="No", it takes around 250 ms more. Within this context, checking your shopdisplaycategories.asp page, I’ve found page load times of around 5 to 7 seconds (?).

I’m still working on some improvements since not all session data is saved away with the setSess function. Using session(“fieldname”)=fieldvalue, data gets lost after the session time out.

Erik
www.aquathermia.com
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  14:44:58  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am having a lot of problems with slow page load times and wish I knew more about how to fix these. I know a lot of factors contribute to such things, but I need to find a service or company that can analyze my pages and determine what, if any, solutions are available as I believe shoppers are frustrated when navigating my pages because of this.

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00