Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Persistent Cart Sessions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - January 06 2012 :  08:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if there are any updates on this?

My boss has just asked when can we upgrade the site to v7.0, but because this feature is the main reason we want to upgrade I really need an estimate of when it's likely to be available.

Thank you.

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Neilt
Starting Member

44 Posts

Posted - January 06 2012 :  09:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am disappointed to say that I have heard nothing more.

I originally logged a support call about this on 30th September. Via our support page I chased for an update in November and on 25th November Cam replied:

"We are working on this however we do have a number of urgent issues that we are also trying to cover off on as well.

I apologise for the delays with this.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan"

I have heard nothing further since.

This issue is still vitally important if not fundamental to me - and clearly to many other loyal VPASP customers.

I consider it would be reasonable - and appropriate - for VPASP to now provide a resolution plan to address the uncertainty for everyone who either expected to be able to use this advertised feature or who wants to use it.

Thanks.

Neil

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 09 2012 :  21:47:08  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all

It is not forgotten. We are still working on this feature and will post live once we have a secure and stable working module.

My apologies for the time taken with this.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp

Did you know VPASP now offers premium Cloud based e-commerce web hosting?

Ask me for more details on how we can help you with a complete solution to your
online needs.
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  21:18:49  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for commenting, Cam. Good to know this is still on the minds there. Many of us are looking forward to hearing more about this.

Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - February 03 2012 :  12:37:53  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this is in process and I appreciate how long this type of thing can take to program. Just wanted to mention we continually get comments about carts emptying still.

Forgive an overly-simplified question about this aspect of VPASP, but what is it that other ecommerce systems are doing to combat this that VPASP doesn't? I shop all the time with similar vendors to myself and NEVER have an issue with my cart emptying, even after 6-8 hours of inactivity.

I'm just curious what it is that is inherent in most sites I visit that handle this fine that is NOT the case currently with VPASP.

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

manilow
VP-CART New User

France
134 Posts

Posted - February 04 2012 :  13:01:12  Show Profile  Visit manilow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris,

I had to solve this issue since many carts were lost on my own site as well. However, I think it's related to the type of web hosting. I believe sessions are frequently lost especially on shared servers (web farms).

You may have to move to a dedicated server if you’re not already. Otherwise, you have to modify quite some code as I did (since my site is shared hosted). I’ve sent the concerning files to the VPASP support.

Sessions are now saved in a separate database. Besides avoiding sessions to be lost, a major advantage of it is that carts can be saved several days, or weeks if you want to. I’ve noticed visitors coming back after a couple of days validating their cart without visiting product pages! This means their cart was already filled!

Erik
www.aquathermia.com
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - February 05 2012 :  14:54:16  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I may look at the dedicated server to see if that changes things, although I'm sure it will be quite expensive.

I hope your info to VPASP helps. I know you probably spent a lot of time on this but if the code you changed is something you are willing to pass along to fellow victims of lost cart syndrome, please let me know and I can provide you contact info.

This is still a daily occurence on our site and I know it is driving people away.

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

Neilt
Starting Member

44 Posts

Posted - February 06 2012 :  04:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris - I don't believe dedicated hosting will help you. That's what we have and the performance when using xsavesession makes the site unusable in the modern marketplace.

While shared hosting has it's own compromises the issue is that the feature doesn't work satisfactorily even on dedicated hosting. I know that manilow kindly offered to share his code but I'm not aware what the outcome was.

Nearly a month has passed since I last had any kind of response from VPASP (via the Forum) and that was merely a holding response given that VPASP have been working on a solution since September 2011 - that's 4 months now.

We have continued with the development of a new site expecting the issue to be resolved but I am very concerned that this is not being treated as a priority by VPASP given that it's an advertised feature of VPASP 7 and that we are going to disappoint our client over what was a key feature for them and a major reason we went with VPASP over other solutions.

I'm disappointed that this is a bit out of character for VPASP - maybe time is being spent on a new version rather than fixing the current version for those people who have actually purchased the product...?

Cam - given the length of time this issue has been ongoing can you provide any idea of a resolution plan & timescale please?

Thank you.

Neil
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 06 2012 :  05:27:49  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Neil and everyone,

It has been frantic here as we have a lot of projects on the go currently and have had some staffing issues with our lead developer, Frankie, who was working on this become critically ill and finally have to resign as he can no longer work.

We are testing a module now in-house and if you can fire up your helpdesk ticket we will arrange for the files to be sent to you once we are sure they are working as expected so you can beta them.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:

online needs.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 06 2012 :  05:41:15  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We setup permanent "sessions" on our bigyellowkey.com site (so that people never timeout on their login or on their mini-cart unless they explicitly logout or clear their cart etc), but the logic for how it all works in the background is surprisingly complex, using fall-throughs/checks for cookies, sessions, logins, carts etc.

The logic that you need to apply to create/move the login/cart/session info to/from each other at relevant stages is quite involved.

eg if someone's got something in their cart but they're not logged in yet, you need to then stamp their database cart with their login once they do login/register so that when they visit again it picks up their cart from their login instead of just the session which would have gone by then, and you also need to get the system to automatically log them back in again if their login session has timed out.

We had to create a kind of flow-chart of all the permutations of the login/logout/cart/session/cookie elements so that we could get it to all work properly; it's a lot harder than it looks at first glance once you get into the real nitty-gritty of what users/visitos do.

So on byk, even if the user's physical session on the server times out every 2 minutes, or gets killed off by an overloaded server, the user doesn't see it disappear; as far as they're concerned the cart/login stays there forever no matter what happens to the server or how long they're idle for on the site.

Although the logic is quite complex, we had the advantage that we built the byk site from scratch, whereas with vpasp they'd have to consider how the rest of the cart/site deals with stuff in other areas. ie it's a lot easier to build that kind of thing in from the start, but it's quite a big task to try and plug it into all the existing code and still get it doing everything you'd want.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

SportsKidsGuy
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - February 28 2012 :  20:53:40  Show Profile  Visit SportsKidsGuy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cam, or whoever this may concern, I am also finding myself in need of any improved persistent session handling you might have. What would be the procedure for me to get ahold of this? What do you mean by "fire up (my) help desk ticket?" Should I just open a ticket for this?

For what it's worth, a simplified solution that improves performance quite a bit vs what comes out of the box and seems to work fine is to change SetSess and SetSessA so they look for any changes in the item (compared to the session var in ram) to be written to the persistent cookie before actually writing it, and don't bother writing it if everything is the same. SetSessA has to handle arrays, and the cart, of course, but it wasn't terribly difficult and performance is ... noticably improved. Here's a little trace of my home page load showing the items that were physically updated to the db and suppressed by using this simple approach.

This bunch comes before the header:

Not updating: tempfeatureuserprice
Not updating: convertBackBackpage
Updated: convertBackpage
Updated: convertCurrentpage
Not updating: CartCount
Not updating: fromquickorderpage
Not updating: CurrentURL
Not updating: dynamictitle
Not updating: Dynamicdescription
Not updating: Dynamickeywords
Updated: Dynamictitle
Updated: Dynamicdescription
Not updating: Dynamickeywords
Not updating: fromquickorder

Along the CategoryList in the left column, I have:

Not updating: selectedclass

... it looks like once for every top level category in the list. That is a lot of db updates suppressed.

General browsing around my site gives the same kind of results, so every page is improved by this.

Another fix that improves performace quite a bit, keeps a check on the db size, and was mentioned by another poster some time ago is to NOT store categories and catcount in the cookie, but just keep them in a session var. There is no reason I can think of for those to be in the db.

Anyway, these fixes helped some, but if there a more complete fix I would really like to implement it now, before I get closer to deploying this cart live. Thanks!

SportsKids.com
<i>Sports For Kids And Their Families</i>
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 29 2012 :  19:17:36  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. The new module is looking good so if you want to join in the beta program please feel free to post a ticket in our helpdesk at:

https://helpdesk.vpasp.com

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:

online needs.
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - March 03 2012 :  09:39:50  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cam,

I've sent in a few bug reports on this modue through my service ticket, so look these over before sending this out to more folks.

There seems to be issues with the session cookie having interference issues when you clear your browser cookies and then try to shop again.

Also if I open another tab and log in to my ADMIN panel, the same error occurs, keeping me from continuing to shop in my cart. Here si the error:

Error Type:
Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A0009)
Subscript out of range: 'j'
/shopcartcookie.asp, line 265

As I said, I've sent this through to Bobby through my Helpdesk ticket, but hope it can be looked at quickly as my site is live with this now.

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - March 05 2012 :  09:36:31  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like this issue is resolved now. The only time this error will occur is if you log into your ADMIN panel in a new tab of the same browser or a new window using the same browser, this ADMIN cookie will interfere with the cookie in your cart session and not allow shopping to continue, but this only affects someone logging into the ADMIN panel and can easily be avoided by just using a different browser for yur Admin login than you might have your cart site open with.

Otherwise, this so far is working very well and is a huge load of my mind to be able to know carts will not be emptying on their own.

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - March 13 2012 :  07:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Chris it is better than losing cart sessions but I thought that VP-ASP was developing a module which saved cart sessions to the db so that if customers regularly clear cookies after web browsing then they wouldn't lose their cart. We have to have a notice on our site to say that we cannot store more than 20 products in their cart which has annoyed quite a few of our customers who regularly order over 50 items (one customer placed an order last Friday/Saurday for 158 different products and had to use 3 cart sessions)

Looks like we will not be upgrading to V7 after all.

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)