Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Persistent Cart Sessions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - September 30 2011 :  18:36:10  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to hear. I also see major slowdowns when setting savesession = Yes. Looking forward to what you find when testing.

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

manilow
VP-CART New User

France
134 Posts

Posted - October 11 2011 :  04:40:14  Show Profile  Visit manilow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been working on this issue a few months ago since I faced the same problems: frequent "Cart is empty" messages (I've made a routine to save all errors in a log file). Sessions were lost despite of having a 20 minute session time out. This is certainly due to the shared server webhosting of our site.

When setting xsavesessioncookie to YES to solve this problem, the page load time increased considerably, more than allowable. The reason of this speed decrease can be found in shopsessionssubs.asp. Each time the setSess or getSess functions are used (>>10 times / page), data is read from or written to the database. These are time consuming processes.

To avoid these repeating database connections, I’ve found a very convenient solution. At the very start of each page, all session values (saved in the database) are loaded in an array. The getSess and setSess functions read and write in this array and not directly in the database. At the end of the page, the database with the session values is updated (only once a page!).

During these changes in the concerning files, I’ve found quite some bugs to repair. A very important one concerns the product category list (shopproductsubs.asp : Sub NavigateShowCategoriesStyled). First of all, I don’t think it’s necessary to store all categories and subcategories in the session database; the size of it will explode! Use session("categories") instead of setSess(“categories”).

Secondly, new categories and subcategories are generated when catcount = 0. Don’t reset catcount to 0 systematically when xsavesession = "yes", only when a visitor is loggin in our out for example. Page loading speed will increase substantially!

Ever since I made these changes, none of the sessions are lost (even in the admin area), carts are saved during a week and the page load time is shorter than originally.

I think it would be appreciable to include these changes to the vpasp cart. However, quite some files need to be updated. I’ll send these files to the VP-ASP Support if interested.

Erik
www.aquathermia.com
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - October 11 2011 :  05:10:25  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Erik,

Thank you for this. We actually have a similar idea however this method requires quite a lot of files to be updated which can make it very difficult for our customer to install it on their preexisting site.

We are currently looking for other easier alternative and may resort to this as a last resort.

Regards,
Frank
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - October 11 2011 :  05:37:58  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Erik

I would be interested in having a look at the changes actually.

If you get a moment please feel free to zip and send through to [email protected].

Thank you

Cam Flanigan
VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - October 11 2011 :  15:41:16  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is very intriguing, even for a non-programmer like me. I would be very interested if Cam or someone from VPASP can keep this conversation going to see if this is a solution for the many of us out here facing this problem on a daily basis. Lost carts are most assuredly driving people away from our site.

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

Neilt
Starting Member

44 Posts

Posted - October 17 2011 :  05:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Manilow,

thanks for your post. Using your solution, when the visitor returns to the website e.g. after a week, are any changes in product prices reflected in their trolley? i.e. are product prices checked before being restored?

My discussions with VPASP are ongoing and I need to clarify some things, but they suggest the above is not possible which is a serious issue for me i.e. what's the point in restoring a customer's trolley if the prices could be wrong...

Thanks

Neil
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - October 23 2011 :  08:09:38  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd pass along one of many emails we get because of this issue. This one came through last night.

Subject: Your Website

It is terrible. I spent a half-hour carefully choosing customized products, and
it spontaneously deleted all the contents, forcing me to start over.

Every time I've dealt with you, your service has been great. But you MUST fix
this.

Obviously, we are all aware of this, but to see the kind of reaction this causes I thought would be important.

I have to be honest, as being a loyal VPASP user for many many years now and having a customized site working how I want otherwise, I feel the need to shop around as this non-persistent cart issue is definitely driving away business.

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - October 24 2011 :  00:18:15  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris,

We are working with Neil on this and will be getting something for him to beta test hopefully soon.

Unfortunately I am not sure the new module will assist you though as your site is heavily customised and you have a lot of custom pages that are outside of the default VPASP order process.

It will most likely need some custom work to integrate your custom pages into the new module.

Will have to see once it is built.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - October 24 2011 :  10:31:46  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to hear. At least if there is somethng in the works to test, there is a chance it may be able to be adapted, or my own custom pages can be adapted to make something work.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

manilow
VP-CART New User

France
134 Posts

Posted - October 29 2011 :  17:40:14  Show Profile  Visit manilow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neilt

Hi Manilow,

thanks for your post. Using your solution, when the visitor returns to the website e.g. after a week, are any changes in product prices reflected in their trolley? i.e. are product prices checked before being restored?

My discussions with VPASP are ongoing and I need to clarify some things, but they suggest the above is not possible which is a serious issue for me i.e. what's the point in restoring a customer's trolley if the prices could be wrong...

Thanks

Neil

Hello Neil,

Prices are indeed updated when restoring carts. However, I had to make some corrections to the original code to make it work.

I'll send the corrected code to the VPASP support.

Kind regards,
Go to Top of Page

Neilt
Starting Member

44 Posts

Posted - October 31 2011 :  04:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Manilow - that would be helpful I think.

VPASP are working on a solution still however I am waiting on a reply regarding the time period in which a cart would be 'remembered' when a visitor returns to the site.

Thanks

Neil
Go to Top of Page

Neilt
Starting Member

44 Posts

Posted - November 24 2011 :  06:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an update for those following this issue I have been waiting 14 days now for a response to my last request for an update.

I appreciate it's a complex issue but the lack of any response or news does both disappoint and concern me.

Manilow - have you had any communication with VPASP recently?

Thanks

Neil
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - November 28 2011 :  09:30:00  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is SUCH a major problem. Not 3 days goes by when someone calls to tell me how annoying my shopping cart is because it keeps emptying their cart. This really should be a MAJOR PRIORITY for developers at VPASP as it is making this shopping cart system obsolete compared to others for this one reason alone.

I hope this is being actively looked at and addressed. It is hard to believe this is not something that has already been addressed.

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - November 28 2011 :  21:52:57  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are working on this. This is our busiest time of year and as a result there can unfortunately be delays with some things.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - November 29 2011 :  09:36:12  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Cam. Just good to know you guys are looking into it as you can.

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00