Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Persistent Cart Sessions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - November 15 2010 :  06:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just having a play around with v7 and was trying to locate this feature, but I can't find it referenced in the manual.

Can anyone direct me to the correct page?

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - November 17 2010 :  07:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*bump*

Anyone? I would have thought this would be a fairly popular feature.

In our case, we're serving around 15 'shopping cart is empty' errors a day and almost all of these are expired carts. I'm convinced its costing us sales.
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - November 17 2010 :  10:32:10  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you are referring to extending the cart session on your site, this is not something controlled in VPASP. Your server must control how long sessions last.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - November 17 2010 :  16:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I'm referring to the new v7 feature that stores the cart contents in the database (and presumably restores it via a cookie).

From http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpasptechnical.htm:
quote:
New - Persistent cart sessions - leave the cart for a week nad items still present until checkout

I think this is vital feature of an online store. Customers expect that their shopping cart wont disappear. At least, that's certainly true in our case.
Go to Top of Page

Doug Page
VP-CART New User

Canada
85 Posts

Posted - November 17 2010 :  19:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look in the Users Manual under

24 Advanced Session Handling (Database Session)
Go to Top of Page

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - November 17 2010 :  21:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you - that's exactly what I needed.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - November 23 2010 :  01:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone using this feature successfully?

I've been doing some testing with a default install of v7 using MS SQL. With this feature activated, page loading times decrease by nearly 30%.

It's a very noticeable difference. It makes me nervous - we're definitely losing sales to dropped carts, but that's quite a decrease in performance.

Has anyone else implemented this feature without a significant decrease in load times? Did you do any optimisation to achieve this?
Go to Top of Page

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - November 23 2010 :  18:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something else I've just noticed.

It seems to me making the database huge. The default install, with no orders, customers, or records from actual use has already increased to 125MB. This is near equivalent to our 6.5 database with 100,000's of records.

Is anyone else seeing this with their databases?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - November 23 2010 :  22:22:25  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter

Can you please check your database log file.

This may need shrinking for some reason.

Is your database set to Full or Simple mode? Simple is best as it allows the log file to be shrunk.

It will slow down using the sessions but 30% is pretty severe and should not be that much.

It may be worth submitting into our helpdesk so the support team can investigate for you.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - January 05 2011 :  13:13:21  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where do I set my database to Full or Simple? Is this done with the server or somehow my settings in VPASP?
Go to Top of Page

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - January 06 2011 :  00:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisredco

Where do I set my database to Full or Simple? Is this done with the server or somehow my settings in VPASP?

It's not a VPASP setting, so I believe this needs to be done on the SQL Server by your host.
Go to Top of Page

Neilt
Starting Member

44 Posts

Posted - September 29 2011 :  07:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I wondered if this issue was resolved satisfactorily?

I am testing the persistent cart sessions (as it was a key reason for buying VPASP 7) but am very concerned at how much it slows pages.

e.g. some examples of page load times (in seconds)
with xsavesession set to yes = 8.3, 5.0 and 5.8
same pages with xsavesession set to "" = 1.5, 1.6, 2.4

(Windows Server 2008 R2, IIS 7, MS SQL 2008)

I note that a 30% decrease in load time was considered high but this is far worse.

Is there an issue with this feature?

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Data0999
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts

Posted - September 29 2011 :  11:05:41  Show Profile  Visit Data0999's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if this is the best solution but it has worked well for us with keeping sessions alive after a lot of investigating and testing. We simply put at the very top of the shoppage_header and our admin header. above the doctype

<%
Session.Timeout = 60
%>

This keeps the sessions running for 60 minutes and we haven't noticed any issues. Server settings and anything have not worked. We've put this to a stop watch. Previously we were losing sessions at 15 minutes. We have not tested above 60 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

Neilt
Starting Member

44 Posts

Posted - September 29 2011 :  12:17:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply but our situation relates to use of 'xsavesession' and a customer being able to return to the site after several days (or weeks even) and still being able to see the products they had in their cart when they last visited.

cheers for now.
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - September 30 2011 :  04:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neilt - that's a shocking slow down in service

I would also like to know if the speed issues with this feature have been resolved because this part of V7 is the main reason that we would upgrade, but until our host resolves the service issues with our current site there is no way we're upgrading to v7 and a SQL db

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - September 30 2011 :  05:18:09  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello guys,

We are currently looking into this issue locally and will post an update here as soon as we've identified the issue.

Thank you.

Regards,
Frank
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000